• Report: #192545

• Submitted: Sun, May 21, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, June 06, 2006

• Reported By:Coon Rapids Minnesota
Family Dollar Stores
Charlotte, North Carolina Mineapolis Area, Minnesota U.S.A.

Family Dollar Stores Underpaid, overworked, unsafe, setting up for failure Mineapolis Area Minnesota

*UPDATE Employee: It's like that everywhere

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: setting up for failure

I've worked for Family Dollar for almost 2 years as a Store Manager. In the beginning I was told by the CTM that hired me that there was great potential for advancement in the company. I had 5 years of retail management experience, and an additional 8 years of management/supervisory experience. I was an Assistant Manager/Manager trainee and the company I was with closed the stores in my division. Family Dollar, for all appearances, looked like what I was looking for, stability and phenomimnal growth.

I was hired as an Assistant Manager in June '04, and for health reasons the Store Manager left in Sept '04. This was a new store opening. I had 1 week of training with the CTM, and my Store manager was also training with me, he started 1 week before me. We then were told to hire and put the store together for grand opening on July 28,2004. We did all of the work, put racking together, setting schematics, unloading trucks (8 52foot trailers in 4 days full)and stocking and pricing. I took over the store in Sept '04, the back room filled to the roof with stock from grand opening, and was now getting auto shipements for the holiday seansons that were coming.

I was told that they were paying me the top pay for Assistant managers because I was so experienced, $10/hr, and when I was told they were making me Store manager, that I was being fairly compensated per my experience with $650/week salary. I was told I had to work a minimum of 52 hours a week, sounded fair.

I went from 6 employees to 4 going into the holiday season, this store is $1.20 millon/year. I NEVER went over payroll the first year. I worked with what I had. Hiring was hard cause no one in the area could pass the ever wonderful "Stanton Survey". You don't pass you don't get hired.

Theft in the store was unreal, caught 4 employees in the first 6 months stealing both cash and merch, and tried to keep the customer theft down. No cameras, if I wanted them I had to buy them myself out of my own pocket(no reimbersement), no security, EAS tag system - but we couldn't stop anyone and Family Dollar dosen't prosecute so the police are unwilling to come in a timely manner when called.

Most of the time there was only 1 or 2 employees, how safe is that? We have never be held up,but they are robbing us blind. I told the DM and emailed Loss prevention, thay were all aware of the issue, did all that we could at store level. At my last inventory we had 6.7% shrink, some of which was from employee theft at the beginning of the year the rest was customer theft.

My DM was fired on the same day of my inventory, and I was let go 1 week later, the reason given was they felt I was overwhelmed and this was a "good business decision". At that time I never had an anytime 5 under 2 and I had the lowest turnover rate in the district, dropped the payroll from 10.8% to 8.1%, had an average increase in sales of 10%, #4 out of 12 in district in sales, never been written up or repremanded.

I find out after the fact that every male Store managers in this region made more that I did. I was at $670/wk(after one raise)and they were starting males at $700 - $800 with little or no retail experience, sound fair. They offered my Assistant manager $500/wk to be Store manager, unreal.

When I went for unemployement they appealed it saying I was fired because of "Failure to protect Company Assets", at the hearing the Judge found in favor of me and stated that they did not show gross misconduct on my part or indiference.

There is so much I can say about Family Dollar, but the most imporant is:

Coon Rapids, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/21/2006 09:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Dollar-Stores/Mineapolis-Area-Minnesota/Family-Dollar-Stores-Underpaid-overworked-unsafe-setting-up-for-failure-Mineapolis-Area-192545. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Dollar Stores

It's like that everywhere

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

I too have a store where there is no way to stop theft and they are unwilling to do anything to help. There is no way to watch customers when your the only one there and have a line of people you are checking out. Have asked for cameras and EAS but was told I cannot have them, well then don't ask me about my shrink number when I have told you what I need to reduce it morons. Plus have documented all shortages I have found on the truck. I no longer stress about it, I work my 52 hours and then go home.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

setting up for failure

AUTHOR: Cindy - (U.S.A.)

I too have been the victim of Family Dollars unfair employment tactics.

Everything you stated in your post is true and I know this because I was a manager for 4 years and my treatment from this company mirrored yours. This company does in fact set you up to fail. It is almost as if they push you to your limit so you will quit or do something to get fired. I guess somehow this works for their company.

So I feel for you and say I am glad you are out.

Take care