• Report: #871933

• Submitted: Sat, April 21, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, April 22, 2012

• Reported By: Anonymous — Utah United States of America
Family Dollar Stores

Family Dollar Stores Russ Tanger Told Me he Didn't Like Men Working in Stores Glendale, Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Is your race "male"?

I have worked at Family Dollar for some time and still am an employee, a while back we had a visit from Russ Tanger and he was there during his usual audit or inspection. Upon arriving he went through the store and then made a comment that Family Dollar is a ladies store and men shouldn't work there. Later the District manager applogized for Russ's actions but it was still offensive. Considering at the time there were two men working there me and an Assistant. I was not present when this remark was made but I have prove from everyone there and even the DM knows what he said. I just can't believe a Regional Vice would say something like this. This is a serious Racial remark considering he him self is a man. I wish I would have been able to get a recording when he said this. I haven't really done anything about it but I think it should be known that he makes racial remarks upon entering stores. I have also heard stories about him complaining about over weight employees and remarks if they are anything but white. What I kind of management is this? It just angers me and I am pretty sure it will happen again considering we are expecting another visit in a few days, who knows I may even get terminiated for writing this report and or/ fired for being a man. However, I will remain anonymous considering there could be possible retailiation.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/21/2012 09:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Dollar-Stores/internet/Family-Dollar-Stores-Russ-Tanger-Told-Me-he-Didnt-Like-Men-Working-in-Stores-Glendale-871933. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Dollar Stores

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Is your race "male"?

AUTHOR: Nicole - (United States of America)

I believe you mean "sexist" unless he in fact made a remark about your race, as in the color of your skin or your ethnic background.

That aside, I do think that's extremely rude and not appropriate in the least. For him to say it's a "woman's company" makes me, as a woman, feel as if he's either extremely dumb or extremely sexist in the fact that he only wants women to work under him.  Is there anyone you can go to in HR about this, maybe even anonymously?

I'm not sure what your state laws are, but in my state, we have what's called "At will employment" which pretty much means employers can let you go because you look at them funny.  But that doesn't mean employees don't have recourse.

I wouldn't worry about getting written up or fired because of your genitalia.  As long as you 100% do your job and don't give them a reason to fire you, you should be good.  Just worry about yourself and doing your work to the best of your ability.  Maybe look around and submit some resumes, or like I said, maybe try HR?