Complaint Review: Family Dollar

• Submitted: Fri, June 12, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, July 09, 2009

• Reported By:Greene New York
Family Dollar
151 South Chenango St. Extension Greene, New York U.S.A.
  • Phone: 315-491-0817
  • Web:
  • Category: Employers

Family Dollar Paid Vacation time earned, but unpaid after termination... Greene New York

*UPDATE Employee: Family Dollar Policy on Vacation Pay

*Consumer Comment: Vacation time

I was an employee at Family Dollar in Greene, NY, for 1 and 1/2 years. I was a hard worker, went in on days off, came in whenever called, did whatever they asked me, etc. I was terminated on June 4th, 2009, due to a customer complaint. The person that made the complaint I knew in person. They did not like me and they were the type of person to push to get me fired. Even if it meant making nothing into something.

I am getting married in August 2009 and was going to use my 1 week paid vacation for my honeymoon. Upon being unexpectedly terminated, I called to ask about my unused vacation time and when I should expect to be paid for it. In response, Family Dollar told me that I was NOT going to recieve my vacation pay. They say that company policy says they don't have to. I was never told anything about their supposed"policy" until after I was terminated.

I just don't see how I could've worked at Family Dollar for that long, and be denied what I worked for. It's wrong! Family Dollar treats their employees like cattle. They use their employees, making them work long hours with shit for pay and are desperately understaffed, only to turn around and screw them over. Family Dollar is a terrible company to work for. They exploit their employees and it's not just or fair. If you have any complaints click on the link below...

Kristy
Greene, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2009 08:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Dollar/Greene-New-York-13778/Family-Dollar-Paid-Vacation-time-earned-but-unpaid-after-termination-Greene-New-York-461029. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Dollar

Family Dollar Policy on Vacation Pay

AUTHOR: Anonymous1 - (U.S.A.)

Just to help with the confusion, as a long time manager for Family Dollar, I can tell you that the policy on vacation time does state that vacation time is NOT paid if you are terminated, as with most companies it is only paid if you leave in good standing (i.e. two weeks notice given and worked). This is stated in the handbook, which by training guidelines you should have read your first day of employment and should have been given a copy upon hiring. Hope this clears the confusion some, sorry it isn't what you wanted to hear.

Vacation time

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

As far as i know they don't have to pay any employee vacation pay.

When you were hired did you sign a bunch of paperwork? Go back and read that.

"Whether an employer is obligated to pay for unused time depends upon the terms of the vacation and/or resignation policy. New York courts have held [in Glenville Gage Company, Inc. v. Industrial Board of Appeals of the State of New York, Department of Labor, 70 AD2d 283 (3d Dept 1979) affd, 52 NY2d 777 (1980)] that an agreement to furnish benefits or wage supplements, such as vacation, can specify that employees forfeit accrued benefits under certain conditions. To be valid, the employer must have notified employees, in writing, of the conditions that nullify the benefit."

So, if they have it in the new hire packet or other internal memo, they can deny you vacation time legally.