Complaint Review: Family Dollar

• Submitted: Wed, August 27, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, September 03, 2008

• Reported By:mesa Arizona
Family Dollar
1240 W University Dr Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.
  • Phone: 480-464-5421
  • Web:
  • Category: Bigots

Family Dollar Bait and Switch, Fraud Mesa Arizona

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Information you may need

My stepson went into the Family dollar store on University in Mesa, AZ. The store advertises that EBT/food stamp cards are welcome. He went to slide his EBT card into the cardholder after picking up milk to purchase, which is a federal and state approved purchase. He was then told by the cashier in a rude, snide voice that he could not purchase the milk with an EBT card; that it was cash only. This was stated even though the individual in front of him had purchased something with an EBT card with no problem. Oh..I forgot to mention. My stepson is african-american. My stepson was embarrased, and went to put the milk back before he left. the cashier then laughed and called him an idiot in front of other customers. I will never shop there again, have contacted the parent company, and am now contacting you. Any one that can help me in this situation, please feel free to contact me.

Catherine
mesa, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2008 07:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Dollar/Mesa-Arizona-85201/Family-Dollar-Bait-and-Switch-Fraud-Mesa-Arizona-367645. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Dollar

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Information you may need

AUTHOR: Golddustwoman - (U.S.A.)

Hey, I am sorry (if what you stated was true)that happened.No one of any race or gender should be treated in any rude manner anywhere.Did you ask to speak to the manager?I know, as a customer, and been treated in a harsh way, you are mad and want it to be handled correctly.Alot, of times that don't happen.I had cashiers of different races and genders working with me.We all were equal and treated each other equal, even our customers.

As far as I know(not for sure in all states) I know in FL&GA, that at family dollar EBT that is accepted is cash part, not just food part.At Dollar General, it accepts both. I am not sure what reasons for Family Dollar just accepting the Cash part, but I recall b/c of expanding to see how much and what sells. Dollar General, started off like that, then went to accepting both Cash&Food EBT, then etc. Now, in some stores they are starting taking both, but that was a selected stores only.But, Like I said, "it may have changed'.

If you feel like this has violated you or your stepson feelings, etc.. I would suggest calling the store manager, or ask to speak with the district manager, have him to call. If you start off with, b/c of race, etc. you may not get anywhere.Explain what happen, if possible have him to explain what happen, then if that don't work, then contact their corp. number on their website, www.familydollar.com there is where you can e-mail them.If there was a misunderstanding about the EBT card, then they should be able to resolve that with you, but I would address, how he was treated.When, I get done bad at a store, sometimes I let it go, but if it is worth addressing(like this case), then I would take note of the day,time,Cashier name, and dept they were in, and keep my reciept, and nip it in the bud right then.You as a parent, you may have to address it yourself.Again, I am sorry that happened to you all and hope it can get resolved, if you need anymore help, please let me know.