Complaint Review: Family Dollar

• Submitted: Mon, November 20, 2006
  • Updated: Fri, November 24, 2006

• Reported By:Avon Ohio
Family Dollar
34740 Center Ridge Rd N,Ridgeville, Ohio U.S.A.

Family Dollar Was not allowed to have a break. Was to work a five hr shift. Ripoff N Ridgeville Ohio

*UPDATE Employee: It's the same way here NC

*Consumer Suggestion: Brenda, this is why we have UNIONS!!

*Author of original report: response to responses

*Consumer Suggestion: Employer guidelines

*Consumer Suggestion: Per the Ohio Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division:

I was working on 11-19-2006 Sunday night from 2:00-7:15 at Family Dollar,In N.Ridgeville.Ohio.At around 4:15 pm my family brung up to me dinner since I didnt eat anything thinking that I would have at least a 15min break.I approach the asst.manager and asked when I could go on break to eat my dinner,she went on to reply,"Did I discuss this with the manager"?I was not sure what she ment.I replied discuss what?She replied going on break.I said I cant have a break?She said we dont give breaks but Ill let you eat that,but you have to take this up with the manager of the store.I replied since when does an employee of a store notallowed to take a break to eat? She replied Every store is diiferent and here you have to wrk 6hrs to get a 15min.break.I replied I never heard anything like that before.She seemed very upset and left me in the back room where I felt confused.I looked around the back stock room for a place to set so I could scarf down the food so she wouldn't be so mad but there was no where to set.the table that looked like a lunch table was cover with junk and boxes.The whole back stock room was a mess.I was very hungry any more after incountering this with her so I took One bite of my meal and then closed the lid and retured up front where my family was,And they asked wow you ate that fast.I replied I wasn't allowed to eat it.The thought I was joking and I went on to tell them what had just happened.They could not believe such a thing.I called my husband and told him what had happened and he could not believe it either.He then told me to quit.Theres no need to wrk in a place that does not respect you enough, not to let you eat.

Brenda
Avon, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/20/2006 10:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Dollar/NRidgeville-Ohio-44039/Family-Dollar-Was-not-allowed-to-have-a-break-Was-to-work-a-five-hr-shift-Ripoff-N-Ridge-221445. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Dollar

AUTHOR: Brenda - (U.S.A.)

Whatever I dont even care anymore,I quit the stupid job.I decided to go back to school to further my education so I can get a better career for my self.So I wont have to worry about this crazy stuff that goes on in these stores.I dont care who says what that place was nasty gross!!!!!!!!!!!

It's under 18 must take 30 mins for 5 hours worked.

That law pertains to minors. It is not discrimination against adults. that law went into effect to protect younger workers from exploitation.

It's under 18 must take 30 mins for 5 hours worked.

It's the same way here NC

AUTHOR: Julia - (U.S.A.)

The laws about breaks are the same here in NC but as a manager myself I do allow a 15min break on the clock for 5hrs or less. If they work 6-8hrs they get 1/2hr break off the clock. If they work 9hrs or longer they get 1hr break off the clock. Though I do try not to schedule my employees longer than 8hrs because after that productivity level decreases and so does customer service. As far as smokers....I am one and I pull at least 3 days open to close so if I decide to have a few puffs then My non smokers get to get what I like to call fresh air break. No one in my store takes more than 2 per shift. It works for me as well as my crew. By the way when we are outside we gather buggies, sweep, and pick up trash and so my parking lot stays clean.

Wish you well.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Brenda, this is why we have UNIONS!!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Brenda,

It is very easy in a place like that to organize with a union. VERY easy. Find out what unions you have in your area and request representation.

You will make out either way, because as soon as they retaliate in any way due to the union organization, you will get paid, even if they fire you. The NLRB will sue them on your behalf for all violations.

With union contracts, we get breaks and lunches, regardless of the cheesy and corrupt state laws.

Just look in your yellow pages under LABOR UNIONS. Make the call.

response to responses

AUTHOR: Brenda - (U.S.A.)

I am responding to some of the comments that were left about my situation at Family dollar.How is it that a person can wlk out side to have a cigarette break,but when my children come up to see there mom and bring her food,I'm not allowed to take a break to eat it?I just started there and breaks were never discussed in my interview.And it funny that I found this web sit by looking up labor laws and breaks for family dollar employees and found a rip off situation about another family dollar employee being told the same thing. refer to---
Recently I went into a Family Dollar Store to do shopping. I am an ex-manager of one of these stores. I was not surprised when I learned that the DM had told the employees that they were not allowed a break of any kind. What happened to the Federal and State employment guidelines? I thought slavery had been abolished but I guess not when it comes to working for Family Dollar.

It is sad that you can work for a company and be treated worse than they used to treat the slaves at least they had food at lunch time. When are the employees supposed to eat and where? They can not be seen eating at the counter or on the store floor while stocking shelves according to their rules. No wonder when you walk into their stores you never see anyone with a happy face or hear the word "Hi how are you today" from anyone. I think that the Human Resource Department had better check the background of these people a little bit better.

Cris
Des Moines, Iowa
Whats up with that?And Am I the only one who feels that is is wrong for only a 18 yr old to take a half an hr break but a 34yr old isn't?Do I hear discrimination of age here?This is a America people! Am I the only one who smells something fishy? I read so much stuff about family dollar on this web site I'm in shock.I am almost ashamed that I work for them.And what about the condition the break room was in.No one commented on that?The room is disgusting!So what happens if an employee works 8hrs or more where are they supposed to eat?On the floor or up front in front of customers.I'm sorry I just know how the place looks and the way I was talked to that day was not like a professional person should be talking to an employee.I did work hard that day even if it was only for five hrs.I do have to work every day this wk,so what am I to do?I guess everyone is entitled to there opinion,And that is mine!!!!!!!!!!!

AUTHOR: Chuck - (U.S.A.)

When you first started working there, the rules should have been explained to you...breaks, clocking in, etc

The a*s't manager told you you could eat but talk to the manager at a later time, what's the issue?

And besides, it's only a 5 hour shift....next time just eat before you go in to work.

AUTHOR: Mark (FlyingScooter) - (U.S.A.)

According to their site, in Ohio, it is only mandatory to give a 30 minute break for employees under 18 yrs of age that work 5 hrs or greater.

I did not know this.

Funny, every place i've worked at said: If you work more than 5 hours, you HAVE to take a 30 min break. It's the law...

#18 Consumer Suggestion

Employer guidelines

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

A booklet of employer guidelines should be available on your State's Dept. of Labor website. In there it will tell you what breaks/meals you would be allowed to have, how much time alloted, and over how many hours of work it applies to.

#19 Consumer Suggestion

Per the Ohio Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division:

AUTHOR: Elaine - (U.S.A.)

Question:
Do employers need to give employees lunch and restroom breaks?

Answer:
No, under Ohio law the employer is not required to give lunch or restroom breaks. However, if the employee is under 18 years of age, an employer is required to give the employee a half hour break for every 5 hours worked.

So, sorry, you weren't ripped off. They should grant breaks for good morale and such, but they aren't required to...nor is any other Ohio based business.