Complaint Review: Family Dollar

• Submitted: Tue, June 03, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, June 16, 2008

• Reported By:Elkton Virginia
Family Dollar
Highway 340 Shenandoah, Virginia U.S.A.
  • Phone: 540-6528444
  • Web:
  • Category: Customer

Family Dollar Public Embarrassment and Humiliation Shenandoah Virginia

*UPDATE Employee: the number

*Consumer Suggestion: Don't talk to them at all

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: That is bad

I went into my local Family Dollar on 6/2/2008 around 4:30pm. I had one goal in mine pullups for my son. I walked in said Hi to the girl at the counter and noticed another girl running to the back. I did not pay attention to her. I went and grabbed the diapers, looked around for a minute and went to pay for my purchase. As I was paying I noticed that there was a town police officer at the door. I did not pay any attention to his presence, paid for my purchase proceeded to leave the store. As I was walking out, the officer said, "Mam could you step outside with me." I looked around thinking I know he is not talking to me but yes he was. He then asked if I was aware that I had a no tresspassing papers served against me. I laughed and asked if he had the right person. He said yes he had gotten a phone call and was asked to come because I was not allowed in the store. He then asked for my identification and proceeded to write my information down. As he was talking being from a small town a crowd of busy bodies began to gather. He then asked for me to be honest and tell him if I was aware of the no tresspassing order. I then said, "no, I have never been into any kinda of trouble besides a ticket for speeding." He said he had directed the manager/associate from the store to get a copy of the order. Meanwhile I was to the point of being so upset I began to cry. For someone who prides themselves in a good reputation this whole ordeal was humiliating to say the least. Plus, it did not help that I am five months pregnant. After what seemed to be an eternity went by...the associate came out with the papers and showed them to the officer whos reply was this is not the same person. At this point I was furious. The officer apoligized and assured me it was an honest mistake. I thought since when does an honest mistake involve having the law called on a person. The employees response was that she was "so sorry and that another associate Sam had pointed me out one day as the person who was not supposed to be in the store." She made some comment to the extent that I was more than welcome to shop there anytime.... I then told her, "Do not worry I will not come back." Here is my little part of the story not only did I go to school with this Sam that pointed me out, she was firends with my older brother, and is also related to my brother's ex-wife, plus it is a small town and everyone knows everybody so it obviously was not a mistake. I also have a scar on my face from a burn injury as a child and as far as I know there is no else in that town that shares the same "look" as I. I currently am waiting on a return call from the regional manager who by the way the Shenandoah store told me they did not have.

Laresa
Elkton, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2008 08:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Dollar/Shenandoah-Virginia-22849/Family-Dollar-Public-Embarrassment-and-Humiliation-Shenandoah-Virginia-336636. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Dollar

the number

AUTHOR: Michelle - (U.S.A.)

If no one contacts you call this number 1-800-547-0359 this is the home office number. I am sorry for your ordeal. We have a few ppl that are not allowed in our store and we never mistake them for someone else. When you go to the trouble of getting a no trespasing order on someone,trust me, you remember what they look like. So I find it hard to believe that this was a mistake. Good luck.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Don't talk to them at all

AUTHOR: Vince - (U.S.A.)

You need to get a lawyer and have any communications go through him. An employee of the store made a false accusation knowing full well it was false. Anything you say to the corporate people at Dollar General will probably be recorded and they will use it against you. Don't talk to them. Let your lawyer do the talking. The store is liable for her actions as an employee.

Also, making a false police report is a crime in most places. As a result of this Sam may be charged with a crime. Expect her to lie to avoid this.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

That is bad

AUTHOR: Golddustwoman - (U.S.A.)

That is bad enough, file a suit agst them, and if you are waiting on a regional to call you, I would be very suprised if they do, just contact their website, file a complaint, or call the 1-800 number, if they refuse it(which they cannot, and tell them you do not want another store phone number or a store manager to talk to)they use that so you want call home office. Anytime if anyone was banned from the store they most likely knew not to come in, and if any of us saw that person, we had them to get the manager, and the manager quietly ask and make sure who that person is etc... at the same time have their cell and cordless phone nearby in case.If that happen to you I am sorry and things come back on people. I just heard that a manager was allowing minors (underage children) to work at a store, and when he got caught(he was paying them cash)the DM acted like he didnt know what was going on, but the manager got fired, this DM went to the kids house trying to get these underage children WITHOUT THEIR PARENTS CONSENT to give their social security number and for them to make a statement that another manager(fired before this guy)paying them to work there at that store.Their mother was furious and made a statement at the DA office, and sending along with 14 other statement to Family Dollar Company, and the Labor Dept, for cohersion to a minor to make a false statement against an innocent person.Man those sweat factories in Mexico appear like Saints to Family Dollar!