Complaint Review: Family Readers Club

• Updated: Wed, July 13, 2011

• Reported By: SRN — Tulsa Oklahoma United States of America
Family Readers Club
90 Country Road Route 38 Norfolk, New York United States of America

Family Readers Club Was lied to and never received merchandise or the $300 gift certificate as promised, they took $70 from my account Norfolk , New York

*Author of original report: Case closed

I got a call in March 2011, I was told that I qualified for free magazines but that I had to pay shipping and handling costs for a years worth of subscribtions to 4 different magazines. I was also told that I would receive a total of $300 in gift cards as a way to offset the cost, and that I could cancel at any time within the next 30 days, and that they would send me a welcome packet in the mail within 10 working days.

Must have been one of my off days because I fell for it. Duh!!!! I gave them the information to take the money out of my account. I never received the magazines, the gift cards I received I would have to spend $1200 to receive the $300 and it could only be done one month at a time. In other words I would have to spend $100 in the first month to qualify for a $25 gift certificate at specified retailers, I went online to register for the gift certificates and they were supposed to send them to me but haven't heard from them since. It would cost me $1200 and take me a year to get the $300 I was promised however, I wasn't given the opportunity even if I could afford it since they never sent me the coupons to participate. I never received the welcome packet, I did however get ahold of customer service and was able to cancel my subscription before the next billing cycle and they did do that.

I signed up in March of 2011 and now it is July 2011, and cannot get ahold of anyone. The phone message says Corp office dial 0 to speak to an agent, I dial 0 and then the message says general box please leave a message. That's it. I did email customer service but haven't gotten a response from my phone messages or from the customer service email site.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/01/2011 10:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Family-Readers-Club/Norfolk-New-York-/Family-Readers-Club-Was-lied-to-and-never-received-merchandise-or-the-300-gift-certifica-748010. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Family Readers Club

Case closed

AUTHOR: SRN - (United States of America)

Family Readers Club refunded my money about 2 weeks after I filed with the BBB in NY. Just wanted to let everyone know they did take care of this in a timely manner after I filed a complaint with the BBB.