Complaint Review: Famous Poets Society

• Submitted: Sun, December 05, 2010
  • Updated: Sun, December 05, 2010

• Reported By: golden style — Winston Salem North Carolina United States of America
Famous Poets Society
PO Box 21, Talent Oregon 97540 Talent, Oregon United States of America

Famous Poets Society Con Artists Talent, Oregon

In 2005 I entered a poem into the Famous Poets Society's poetry contest. I got a response within a few weeks informing me that I was a finalist in a poetry contest. The grand prize was $25,000 I had just gotten one of my poetry books self published and saw this as an opportunity to further my career as an artists. Little did I know it was a scam. I had to pay for my hotel room and plane ticket for a 3day and 4 night poetry convention.

I had to pay a registration fee of $650.00 to be entered into the contest. We had all sorts of worthless workshops. Oh and one free banquet meal with water. They did have  some cheap champagne.

Supposedly there was some Noble Peace Prize finalist Mary something. But to make a long story short this company sold the contestants a dream. We bought it! All the people that won a prize knew the judge, because they were repeat members. [continued below]....
..... Something they left out in the letter.

I also ordered a book that my poem was supposed to be published in. I sent them $80.00 and my bio information along with a picture which I am sure went straight to the trash. These are some cold hearted scam artists that have no problem taking advantage of people with a dream of getting there poems noticed.

There were 500 finalist everyone got a trophy and a medallion.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/05/2010 07:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Famous-Poets-Society/Talent-Oregon-97540/Famous-Poets-Society-Con-Artists-Talent-Oregon-668412. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Famous Poets Society