Complaint Review: Famous Poets Society

• Submitted: Tue, July 20, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, July 29, 2004

• Reported By:peru Indiana
Famous Poets Society
PO Box 21 Talent,Oregon 97540 Talent, Oregon U.S.A.
  • Phone: 541-535-2500
  • Web:
  • Category: Liars

Famous Poets Society ripoff wants me to send a lot of money Talent Oregon

*Consumer Suggestion: nonesense eleven years old and have entered this contest

*UPDATE Employee: Our convention is not a scam.

I wrote a poem and submitted it to a contest on the internet they then sent me a letter saying my poem was selected and I was a semi finalist and I could win $1.000.00 and my poem would be published in a book that I would get free. I have not recieved a book or another letter regarding the $1.000.00. Although I did recieve another letter saying the executive committee has chosen my poem and want me to come to a convention for a presentation. They said I would be honored as a famous poet for 2004.I have to pay for the convention which is $800.00 and the hotel for me to stay in which is $300.00 and the air fare which is $600.00.

It seems to me this is a scam. I have been getting donations from businesses to help me get there but if it is a scam then I have raised some money for nothing and can not return it to the businesses. What can I do??

Terri
peru, Indiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/20/2004 05:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Famous-Poets-Society/Talent-Oregon-97540/Famous-Poets-Society-ripoff-wants-me-to-send-a-lot-of-money-Talent-Oregon-99813. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Famous Poets Society

#1 Consumer Suggestion

nonesense eleven years old and have entered this contest

AUTHOR: Sarah - (U.S.A.)

i am eleven years old and have entered this contest. if i am not mistaken my airefair is only $248 it is $595 plus to take my mom it is $200. If somebody knows this is a scam please tell me i do not want to waste all the money i have saved up.

Our convention is not a scam.

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

The errors need to be corrected on this complaint.
The entered poem does have a chance to win $1000.00 that is true, however we do NOT state that a book is sent for free. In fact, we list the price of the book quite clearly.

The convention is $495, not $800, don't know where that number comes from. The hotel is $94, lowered from a regular price of $215. Airfare may be correct, but I bet it could be lower.

Our convention is not a scam. We offer quite a lot for the price we charge. All that we are offering costs money to make happen, thus we must charge a price to take part in that offering. If it looks interesting then people can go, if not then they need not attend. Choice is to the poet, we simply offer it.