Complaint Review: Fandango.com

• Updated: Thu, July 25, 2013

• Reported By: Lgray — Columbia South Carolina
Fandango.com
Internet USA

Fandango.com Fandango.com credit card hidden charge for convenience fee. Internet

*Author of original report: Early Showing and Convenience Fee

*Consumer Comment: How Much?

I purchased two movie tickets at the Fandango.com website on 7/25/13.  It noted the tickets were $4.75 each.  I input my credit card information and the next screen showed my credit card had been charged for two tickets PLUS a $2.50 convenience fee.  I could not cancel the transaction after I realized there was a "convenience fee", so I was forced to pay for the convenience fee.  Highly unethical on the part of Fandango.  I'm going to have to close my credit card account with VISA and open a new one as I now am learning that Fandango sells credit card information to third parties.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/25/2013 10:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fandangocom/internet/Fandangocom-Fandangocom-credit-card-hidden-charge-for-convenience-fee-Internet-1070211. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fandango.com

Early Showing and Convenience Fee

AUTHOR: Lgray - ()

Thank you for your rebuttal.

As far as the low ticket price, we have regular showings of movies for $4.75 at the Cinemark Coastal Grand Mall in Myrtle Beach, SC.  It is a very large, beautiful, relatively new mall.  Although prices can be almost double what I paid, the early show is $4.75, as far as I know although I am not a regular movie goer.

I went back to the Fandango website to check out your comments about the right side of the screen summary.  You are correct, there was a summary on the right side that I did not see.  Quite honestly, I think that is their intention.  Why do reputable web sites ask the buyer to confirm their total purchase (with fees) after the credit card is entered?  Because they want to be clear and avoid the appearance of wrong doing.

When you just look at what happened in my case, Fandango added a 26.3% increase to my purchase without having me confirm the purchase after they took my credit card.

Bad business practice = potential litigation = protect consumer.  I run a web store and I would not dream of doing what they do!

How Much?

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

You paid $4.75 for a Movie Ticket?  Even on their bargin shows I haven't seen a price that low in a couple of decades.  Where even with the fee you are getting quite a bargin compared to other parts of the Country.

But anyways I know that is not your point.  However, their Convienience Fee is listed BEFORE You finalize your purchase.  It is listed in the summary right next to the place you enter in your Credit Card Information.