Complaint Review: Farm Bureau General Insurance

• Updated: Sun, February 05, 2012

• Reported By: Robert + Pamela — Flint Michigan United States of America
Farm Bureau General Insurance
7373 W. Saginaw Hwy. Lansing, Michigan United States of America

Farm Bureau General Insurance My wife was hit by a drunk driver head on (14 years ago) (combined speed of 150mph!) her vehicle rolled several times, she suffered severe bodily damage to pretty much her entire body. Lansing, Michigan

Farm Bureau has been defiant since day one and has made it very difficult for my wife to get her medical care taken care of.  Michigan has "lifetime" medical benefits for auto accidents first of all.  The problem comes when something that is supposed to be covered by the auto insurance is denied on records that THEY HAVE LOST or misplaced (or possibly destroyed INTENTIONALLY).

My wife had been seeing a chiropractor and a massage therapist due to the amount of damage done to her neck and back in the auto accident.  She had some medical issues (also related to the auto accident) that prevented her from continuing with these 2 services for a time.  When she went to return to continue with chiropractic care and massage therapy to help with her pain level they sent a denial letter not once but on each and every request to return back to these services.  They claimed that their records showed that she had not been in either one of these services for as long as we had claimed ,as well as had documentation - and copies of prior bills - showing them as the payee. [continued below]....

In 2009 they sent my wife to go see 2 IME's (Dr Kenneth Distler) who is 'supposedly' a board certified orthopedic surgeon - who sided with the insurance after seeing her in his office (never asked her ANY medical questions - and claimed to look through 2 HUGE boxes of medical records within  MINUTES)  His conclusion was that she needed to lose weight, that she had NO orthopedic injuries (at this time she had been through 41 or more orthopedic surgeries to repair her femur, tibia, wrist, fingers that had all been either shattered completely or cut off in the auto accident.

The auto insurance removed the ramp to the front of the house trapping my wife IN THE HOUSE, saying it was not medically necessary that steps would do her some good!  WELL... 3 months later trying to take ONE step up she fell and tore her rotator cuff on her left side.  Now she really had NO way out of the house... We have been fighting with them for about 2 years now about doing modifications to our home so that my wife can actually get around it easier.  I was forced to call an EMS when she started have medical problems - normally I would have driven her myself - but as I stated she was trapped in the house, her knee was going out from under her, she couldn't use a walker due to her injuries to her wrist, her torn rotator cuff, and using a wheel chair down 3 STEPS was not really a safe option.  The EMS took her to the hospital where she was admitted for problems related to a surgery (gall bladder) that was unrelated to the auto accident.

The issue now was how do I get her BACK in the house now... they kept her overnight (thank god) and I spent the next 24 hours at my house building a deck and ramp so that she would have access in and out of our home.  I could no longer wait for Farm Bureau to get their sh*t together - which it was apparent it was NEVER going to happen.

They are paying for the surgery and damage to her rotator cuff, but still want to say that she is okay to do stairs!!  OMG are these people that hard headed!  They are still refusing the chiropractic care and massage therapy saying it is NOT related to an auto accident that nearly took her life shattered her entire right side, and left her with a closed head injury.  They are making it sound like she was involved in only a 5mph parking lot accident, they keep trying to minimize and deny everything!

My wife has had appointments cancel numerous times due to their refusal to cover needed medical care.  Our health insurance will NOT pay bills that are auto related and tell us to call our auto insurance!  So she is stuck either having to pay them out of pocket or go without needed medical care.

This insurance company is a JOKE!  They should be run out of business~!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2012 10:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Farm-Bureau-General-Insurance/Lansing-Michigan-48917/Farm-Bureau-General-Insurance-My-wife-was-hit-by-a-drunk-driver-head-on-14-years-ago-c-834240. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Farm Bureau General Insurance