Complaint Review: FedEx

• Submitted: Sun, September 01, 2002
  • Updated: Sun, September 01, 2002

• Reported By:jonesboro ar
FedEx
4444 Delp St Memphis, Tennessee U.S.A.

FedEx Fedex Ground refuses to pay off claims Weasels out of Responsibility via Technicalities Doesn't advise shippers of Rules in Advance Memphis Tennessee

Beware when shipping thru FedEx(Ground); They used every technicality they could to avoid settling my loss claim. After months of phone calls and hours on the phone, I lost BigTime!

I shipped an item (a handgun, sold and shipped in accordance with government regulations) valued at $900, via FedEx customer counter at Jonesboro AR. It was packaged securely with security tape and unmarked outside, as per BATF guidelines. I advised the counter person of the contents and stated the value on the shipping form. Shipping date was 12-21-01, just before Christmas 2001.

The package arrived 12-27-01; recipient called me and stated that the package had obviously been opened during transit and resealed, and THE HANDGUN WAS NOT IN THE BOX! The only tracking info FedEx would provide was that the package had been in FedEx possession THE ENTIRE TIME.

I immediately filed loss claim with FedEx,and reported the loss to my local police and the FBI. After weeks of waiting and phone calls I received a letter stating my clain was DENIED due to the recipient's failure to make the package available for inspection. The recipient said FedEx never came for the package. I demanded a resubmission of the claim, and FedEx picked up the package and returned it to me, WITHOUT EVEN OPENING IT TO INVESTIGATE THE LOSS! (The security tape I used is still in the box, and obviously has the "thief's" fingerprints on the tape. They could have investigated and probably recovered the stolen item!)

After more phone calls and weeks of waiting, I was again denied my claim, several times by phone, for the following stated reasons:
"failure to report the loss in time"; (I reported the loss within a week)
"failure to advise carrier of contents"; (I told the clerk of the contents and asked if there were any special regulations pertaining. There were no signs posted about this item.)
and finally "FedEx(Ground) no longer transports firearms..."; (WHY WASN'T I ADVISED OF THIS WHEN I SHIPPED THE PACKAGE??).

Final disposition was a letter dated 5-13-02 from Daniel Corry, FedEx Ground, POBox 256, Pittsburg Pa 15230, stating that they "respectfully decline liability for this item." THE CONTENTS WERE OBVIOUSLY STOLEN BY ONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES WHILE IN THEIR POSSESSION! HOW CAN THEY DECLINE LIABILITY??

(Beware shipping valuables thru FedEx!)

Darryl
Jonesboro, Arkansas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/01/2002 11:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FedEx/Memphis-Tennessee-38118-7327/FedEx-Fedex-Ground-refuses-to-pay-off-claims-Weasels-out-of-Responsibility-via-Technicalit-28686. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FedEx