Complaint Review: Federal Trade Commission

• Updated: Thu, February 21, 2013

• Reported By: Janet Albert — Corona California United States of America
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania ave Washington, District of Columbia United States of America

Federal Trade Commission She would not release my winning check to me unless I paid my differential taxes. Washington, District of Columbia

*Consumer Comment: Sad.

In (Nov 2012) I claimed an award from the Capital Sweepstakes because I did not respond to their letter they gave my paperwork to the Federal Trade commission.   Every time the money was to be delivered the FTC always asked for more money.

The first time for asking for money to cover courier cost ($3,400)

The second time asking for money to cover registration cost ($8,7000) they did not know the state of california had.

The third time asking for money to cover taxes that were not taken out ($10,500)

The fourth time asking for money to cover new courier cost because I was bumped up to first place ($26,500)

The fifth time asking for money to cover differential tax because I was claiming the prize in a new fiscal year I had to pay the differential tax before delivery of check could happen.

The last straw the first place person could not claim there price and instead of FTC taking out the right amont of tax they said I had to come up with $105,000.00 in differential tax before the check could be delivered.  I told them I do not have the money and if they delivered the winning check I would pay them the tax.  They said no.

I called the IRS to see if it was true about paying the differential tax before receiving the check and the IRS said that I should receive the check then pay the taxes on my income tax in april.

I had to let the winning check go back to Capital Sweepstakes because I could not come up with the tax.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2013 10:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Federal-Trade-Commission/Washington-District-of-Columbia-20580/Federal-Trade-Commission-She-would-not-release-my-winning-check-to-me-unless-I-paid-my-di-1017941. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Federal Trade Commission

Sad.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

In reading your report I hope I'm misreading it.  Did you really send these people $48,000?

Here's the short version.   The Federal Trade Commission is a government agency.  They are not involved in the distribution of any kind of winnings from any contest.    It's not what they do.  You have been scammed by someone who merely pretends to belong to this agency.

You have been dealing with scammers who have figured out that they need only to make up a story to get you to send big money.    There never was any sweepstakes.  Just stories.   If the amount involved is really $48K I strongly suggest you contact your local law enforcement agency and get their guidance on how to proceed with reporting this crime.

depend