Complaint Review: Fictitious Business Name Renewal Center

• Submitted: Mon, September 08, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, July 18, 2012

• Reported By:Oakland California
Fictitious Business Name Renewal Center
2740 Fulton Avenue, Suite 203 Sacramento, California U.S.A.

Fictitious Business Name Renewal Center deceptive attempt to renew Fictitious Business Name Sacramento California

*Consumer Comment: Dishonest Business Practice

*Consumer Comment: Absolutely Deceptive

*Consumer Comment: Brenda, How about a phone number?

*Consumer Comment: Fictitious Statement RipOff

*Consumer Comment: The County Recorder said it IS a scam

*General Comment: EXTREMELY MISLEADING

*Consumer Comment: Scam? Technically, not.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Yes Scam

*Consumer Suggestion: Scam-ish indeed

*UPDATE Employee: No scam here!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Where's the scam?

We received the official-looking form titled "Fictitious Business Name Expiration Notice." The fine print at the bottom of the form says this is not an agency of the government, but it appears to be an official renewal.

Debbie
Oakland, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/08/2008 07:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fictitious-Business-Name-Renewal-Center/Sacramento-California-95821/Fictitious-Business-Name-Renewal-Center-deceptive-attempt-to-renew-Fictitious-Business-Nam-371026. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fictitious Business Name Renewal Center

Dishonest Business Practice

AUTHOR: Daniel - ()

Yes indeed this is a scam.  It is truly a deceptive practice for Fictitious Business Name Renewal Center to interject themselves as a third party.  They are preying on the naive.

I wonder if Brenda would have a change of heart is a stunt like this was played on someone she loves like parents or a child.

Absolutely Deceptive

AUTHOR: xipo22 - (United States of America)

Employees of this company must spare us the phony surprise and indignation at being labeled a scam.

This may not be a "scam" in the truest sense, as I suspect they will in fact renew your DBA, but they will do it for an exorbitant fee of $125 when you can do it yourself at the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk website for $26 and they do so by and by trying to trick you into thinking this must be done via the very "official" looking form they have sent you.  This letter is obviously designed to deceive you, complete with intimidating calls to action in bold print such as IMPORTANT: RETURN NO LATER THAN 8/1/12 and quoting California business and professional codes.

This is clearly an attempt to dupe less savvy business people, or those who are simply to busy to read the fine print.  Deceptive business practice indeed.

Brenda, How about a phone number?

AUTHOR: A.Kammerer - (United States of America)

Brenda, You work/ed for this company, please give me their phone number and address. Or, any way to contact them would be great. I never received a receipt for the check I sent and I would like to inquire about it.

ashley.k_online@hotmail.com

Fictitious Statement RipOff

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

This is a rip off. It is NOT an official renewal form.

The company wants $150.00 to do the same thing that would cost $35.00 at the county recorder office.

They also give a deadline almost 6 months earlier than the true deadline for renewal.

The County Recorder said it IS a scam

AUTHOR: apc9098 - (United States of America)

I have been in business 11 years now, so this is the second such solicitation I received.  Each time, I was uneasy enough with the fee that I called the county recorder's office.  Each time, the county recorder said this IS a scam; that my fbl isn't due for 6 months, and when it is due, I will get an official notice from the county.  The fee in Sacramento county is only 27 dollars.  The problem is, this notice *looks* official and you have to read the teeny tiny fine print at the bottom of the notice to see that it is not a legitimate notice from the county.  It may be meeting the letter of the law, but to imply it is an oifficial notice as it states in bold letters across the top of the page, to imply urgency when there is still 6 months remaining and to charge 5 times the fee is far from ethical.  It doesn't pass the sniff test.  In fact, it stinks.  Expediters for other government services such as visas (and you are not even truly an expediter, seeing as you don't rush *anything*) charge perhaps double the fee.  You are simply taking advantage of harried business owners, hoping they don't read the fine print at the very bottom of the form and don't take the time to call the county to verify that the Fictitious Business Name Renewal Center is truly just scamming legitimate business owners like us.

#6 General Comment

EXTREMELY MISLEADING

AUTHOR: SUZ - (United States of America)

The notice sent by this company is extremely misleading. It implies that they will assist with refiling FBNs and they charge for this service. In our county, FBNs cannot be renewed in this manner and the county only charges $40 to refile. Our customers who received this letter and responded basically received no services but their checks were cashed. Note that the letter does not actually say they will do anything and that's true.
Its pretty shameful to do business this way. Business owners are often busy and do not read the fine print.

Scam? Technically, not.

AUTHOR: Siding Solutions - (United States of America)

So I received the "Expiration Notice" in the mail and after reading through it my intuition told me to research this company, as something didn't seem quite right.
Technically, not a scam, but very deceptive I must say. Creepily deceptive enough for me to feel that it was not a legitimate government agency billing me for the fees.
Eric, San Diego CA

#8 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Yes Scam

AUTHOR: kv - (United States of America)

It does look like A official form I sent $125 as a payment and today I received couple of mails requestiong another $125 + more information so I googled and came across this. I'll try to call on Monday and ask them not to renew my DBA and return my $$. Will post how it goes.

I say scam because I thought it was from the state asking for the renewal fee....
Kim

#9 Consumer Suggestion

Scam-ish indeed

AUTHOR: Wendy - (U.S.A.)

I received one of these today. (7/22/09)
If not an actual scam, since it does have the "this is a solicitation" in the fine print, it is still very scam-ish. Perhaps a stupid tax. Having RETURN THIS FORM NO LATER THAN 7/31/09 TO ENSURE ENOUGH TIME FOR PROCESSING TO AVOID CANCELLATION OF YOUR FICTITIOUS BUSINESS NAME is one of those unethical alarmist tactics popular among people trying to take advantage of the bureaucratic confusion running a small business in California can be.

I was sent one to renew my dba in a county I no longer do business in. So I don't need to renew my dba there. Even if I did, despite their attempt to panic me that my dba could be canceled if I don't COMPLETE THE FORM NOW, I still would have the better half of the year. So not only do they charge an exorbitant fee for processing your paperwork by proxy but they take an incredibly long time to do it. If I took six months to file a very simple form I wouldn't need to renew my dba as I'd be out of business.

THE FACTS:
A dba in CA only needs to be renewed every five years, and only in the county your business resides in, consult your county assessor's office for your form and fee (renewal costs the same as it did to file for a dba in the first place, you just don't have to publish again). The form is usually available online and can be printed out and mailed in with a check, easy peasy. In mine, it's only $10.

Given the FBNRC's fee of $100, that's a heck of a difference.

AUTHOR: Brenda - (U.S.A.)

Where's the scam here? The company sends a solicitation offering to renew a company or individual's fictitious business for them IF they want the service. I am a customer service manager for this company and they are a very honest company that provides a service if the customer wants that service. I don't see any scam here!!

#13 Consumer Suggestion

Where's the scam?

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

FYI,

A D/B/A is considered a "fictitious business name." That doesn't mean there is anything wrong or unethical with having a d/b/a. I also see nothing wrong with soliciting a company for assistance with renewal of a d/b/a.

Best regards.