Complaint Review: Fifth Third Bank (5/3 Bank) Northeastern Ohio

• Submitted: Fri, December 14, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, January 07, 2008

• Reported By:akron Ohio
Fifth Third Bank (5/3 Bank) Northeastern Ohio
No Clue Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-972-3030
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Fifth Third Bank (5/3 Bank) Northeastern Ohio Erroneously call regarding payments that are NOT late Cincinnati Ohio

*Consumer Comment: Your getting some bad news from this place

*Consumer Suggestion: To the rebuttal above, Here's how you get their attention!

*Consumer Comment: Fifth Third Bank has done this to us too.

*Consumer Comment: the fuzzy grey line

*Consumer Suggestion: I suggest you use your name in your posts to avoid gender issues.

*Consumer Suggestion: Steve please read report again

*Consumer Suggestion: "Robandmar" should actually read what was written before correcting anyone.

*Consumer Comment: Your credit report WILL NOT BE AFFECTED if you are under 30 days late

*Consumer Suggestion: Irisherra STILL not getting it!

*Consumer Comment: Been there, done that.

*Consumer Comment: I agree with Bart

*Author of original report: Hi Nikki...

*Consumer Comment: Of course, you're wrong and this is where your real problem is.

*Author of original report: Christ Bart...

*Consumer Suggestion: Just clarifying something.

*Consumer Suggestion: There are several easy solutions here

*Consumer Comment: There is a difference in

*Author of original report: But what nobody seems to be getting...

*Consumer Comment: But according to the OP

*Consumer Comment: But according to the OP

*Consumer Comment: Please site this mythical law:

I have an automobile loan through Fifth Third Bank, which my grandfather is a co-signer on. He is listed as the primary; and I, the secondary.

I've had this loan for six months and every single month without fail, the bank has called my grandfather, AFTER MY PAYMENT HAS BEEN TIMELY MADE, and tell him that the payment is late and that this will appear negatively on his credit. My grandfather nearly has a heart attack, as he has perfect credit and this is important to him.

I hand over my receipts in verification of my timely payment. I have called the bank each and every month to ask why this is occurring and to request that my telephone number and address be used as the contact; but have been told NO, as my grandfather is the primary on the account.

Last month and this month, customer service representatives told my grandfather that his credit is ruined and will be no good for anything. My grandfather is an old man and can not handle such dishonesty and harassment. I have tried to explain to my grandfather that by law, the bank can not touch his credit unless the payment has been 30+ days late (which has not occurred), but he still panics every time these rude customer service grunts call him.

I have contacted customer service numerous times also to just ask that the harassment stop. The supervisors are useless. Today, I was told by a supervisor that when you walk into the bank and make the payment, it can sit up to seven days before someone puts it in the system and that is why the calls and letters come; and that I should instead opt for automatic bank draft to pay my bill. I reserve the right NOT to have such sleazy corporations get into my bank to pull out money. I had 5/3 as a personal bank years ago and had to deal with dishonest, filthy practices, as well as inept customer service morons.

After all is said and done, I have (or perhaps rather my grandfather has) a perfect payment record with Fifth Third Bank since the origination of the loan; so why on earth should this poor old man have to suffer such harassment and degradation on a monthly basis?

Oh, I should point out that a month after we got the loan, Fifth Third sent us letters denying our credit application. Classic, huh? These people really have it together!! *sarcasm*

CONSUMER BEWARE...

Irishserra
akron, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/14/2007 12:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fifth-Third-Bank-53-Bank-Northeastern-Ohio/Cincinnati-Ohio-45263/Fifth-Third-Bank-53-Bank-Northeastern-Ohio-Erroneously-call-regarding-payments-that-are-291602. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fifth Third Bank (5/3 Bank) Northeastern Ohio

Your getting some bad news from this place

AUTHOR: Rob - (U.S.A.)

I feel for you and your grandfather. I know for a fact that the supervisor that told you "told by a supervisor that when you walk into the bank and make the payment, it can sit up to seven days before someone puts it in the system and that is why the calls and letters come" is incorrect. Paying any bill weather it is an equity load or other payment in person at the bank by 5:00 pm should have it in the system that day. I did make the mistake of paying a bill at 5:45 pm and found this out. I suggest contacting the BBB in your area, or try connecting with an employee at the bank and talk one on one with this person for their help. Good Luck!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

To the rebuttal above, Here's how you get their attention!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Divide the monthly mortgage payment by thirty and give yourself a 7 day lead time and send 1/30th of the payment every day by online bill pay from your bank.

This will solve your problem. It will drive them crazy, but your entire monthly payment will be made "on or before the due date". There is absolutely nothing they can do about it except fix the underlying problem.

As soon as I find out a company I deal with has reps overseas, especially Pakistan/India, etc. I go take my business elsewhere. And I let them know why!

Fifth Third Bank has done this to us too.

AUTHOR: Kymberly - (U.S.A.)

We have two mortgage/equity lines with 5th Third. Paid on time perfectly for three years.

We don't have a payment book but receive "statements" monthly that must be enclosed with the payments. We receive this on our about the 15th of the month for payments due on the 25th. I write the check and pop it into the mail. We are in Ohio and the payment has to go to a PO Box in Cincinatti.

Instead, we will receive phone calls (from India I believe) where "Albert" (it's ALWAYS "Albert" will try to pretend that A) he's in Pittsburgh (Fifth Third's own CS rep told me "no they're overseas.") Then "ALbert" will tell me I'm behind by 2x the payment.

No. I'm not even one day behind, not two months pal. What they do is immediately assess the "past due" amount PLUS the next payment. So if it's 11/26 they call on the payment due 11/25 and ALSO total in the payment due 12/25. So you get this call (on a Sunday) "You are past-due $[insert doubled loan amount here] and you must rectify this immediately!"

Except that in some cases we have PROOF the payment was put in their PO Box 2--4 days before it was DUE!

One CS tried to tell me they weren't responsible for payments put IN THEIR OWN PO BOX - and that I wouldn't receive credit for my payments until they got around to opening them and "sometimes that can take a week."

Seriously?

I can't auto-draft because I don't have a 5th Third Checking Account (there isn't one for 50 miles around here).

I can't send it waaaayyyy early because the one time I tried to do so without the almighty "statement" they screwed it all up (applied both payments to one loan, listed the other as late despite my having put account numbers on each).

Their pay-by-phone would cost me $15 per account per month. Seriously? I should spend $360 per year just because they can't figure out how to open their PO Box and process payments?

Worse, two months running they cleared by payment on the last possible day of the grace period (despite having had it for over ten days) and then try to strong-arm me into their Bill Payer service (with a nice monthly fee).

Coincidence, I don't think so?

I'd refi but these are mortgages and all rates would be higher now. I'm stuck with Fifth Third but intend to sign up with my own bank's bill pay.

I suggest you bite the bullet and send a few payments Certified Return Receipt Requested so you can get proof of when your payment is being put in their possession (PO Box) versus when they credit you for them.

I also found that calling the MAIN customer service number helped. Ask to speak to a supervisor, be fair but firm, and you might get some resolution. We ended up with follow-up calls and an apology.

I think 5th Third plays fast and loose with that.

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

The banks take advantage of the fuzzy grey line. They say a payment is due on the 23rd, so you naturally think you can walk in and make the payment on the 23rd. Now there is no reason why this cannot happen, it's just that the bank won't make any money that way. There are literally a hundred rules that no human could keep track of that govern how and when your accounts post (wether it's loan, banking, etc) If you don't have a large income or live paycheck to paycheck, they are going to screw you over big time. Don't ever do business with a bank, in fact don't even use credit, but if you have to go to a credit union. If I were you I'd go down to a credit union, explain your situation and try to move your loan and bank accounts there. What it comes down to is that they know they can take advantage of you so they do. It doesn't matter what your past is, although if you've been an excellent customer they will treat you nicer because they are worried about loosing your account. If you don't make much money for them, they really want to get rid of you, and they will try to steal as much of your money as possible while they try to get you to leave. (yes I speak from experience)

#8 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Since you never put your name in any of your posts, there is ABSOLUTELY no way for anyone to know that you are a woman. Think about it.

Even though the basic credit reporting method only shows regular payments 30+ days as late, there is NOTHING prohibiting that lender from reporting a default or collections entry. Nothing. No actual law probits a collections status from being reported. And, nothing stops them from doing a repo either. 1 day late can cause repo. There is no grace period required by law before repo.

And, my point was that the OP is dealing with collectors, not a credit reporting agency. The ROR is written against a Collector for a lender, NOT a credit reporting agency.

Steve please read report again
Steve, please read report again, the issue I addressed was clearly touched on several times by several different people. You are also wrong on several different thing (actually all of what you said).
A- I am a woman
B- sub clearly states bank told him his and his grandfathers credit was being affected via credit reporting
D- I have more attention to detail then you
F- Barts was not the only response that said his credit report would be affected when it would not be

My point again is to only address the credit reporting issue, not the late fee issue ( because after 10 days late he will have a late fee) or the harrasment issue. I usually to not take the reporting parties side because the payment is late, ect ( I have responded to a whole 3 reports I think in the time I have been a member here). But when wrong info is givin out the proper thing to do is to give the right info.This poster should not be having the bank or responders telling him his credit report will be affected when it will not be. Knowledge is power.

P.S. sorry I had to use my other screen name, I forgot my password ( that is what I get for working 12 hours on New Years eve)!

#9 Consumer Suggestion

#10 Consumer Suggestion

By the OP:
"I have tried to explain to my grandfather that by law, the bank can not touch his credit unless the payment has been 30+ days late (which has not occurred)"

While you feel compelled to "correct" and use my response as an example, you still have not corrected what was asked or stated-even by the OP. Please cite this mythical "law" about reporting only after 30 days late.
0-30 days late IS NOT a good payer as you suggest. They are late.
And the OP's payments are not "timely" as he would like to think and the lender has every right to find out where their money is. Making phone calls to do this is not in anyway a ripoff and can never be construed as one.

#15 Consumer Suggestion

Steve please read report again

AUTHOR: Robandmar01 - (U.S.A.)

#16 Consumer Suggestion

"Robandmar" should actually read what was written before correcting anyone.

Robandmar,

Nobody said anything about being late for credit reporting purposes. That is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

The conversation is about being late on a car payment or not, for purposes of fees and repo, and collection calls. These CAN all happen on the 1st day late, BY LAW.

Therefore, it is YOU that does not know what he is talking about, not us. We are on topic, you are not. I, too was a mortgage broker's loan officer on a part time basis for a few years. I also have extensive knowledge in credit reporting.

>>>>>Robandmar wrote:

f) no rating available
g) orderly payment of debt arranged
h) reposession or seizure of good to collect
i) bad debt or high risk
Any one who has ever read a credit report knows that they have 30, 60, 90, and 120 day late reporting. People who do not know what they are talking about should not respond (and I do know what i am talking about, I was a mortgage broker for 10 years) and give this poor guy a heart attack with inaccurate information.

Robandmar
Fort Wayne, Indiana

>>>>>

Your credit report WILL NOT BE AFFECTED if you are under 30 days late

AUTHOR: Robandmar - (U.S.A.)

Here is the levels the credit bureaus report on:
g) orderly payment of debt arranged
h) reposession or seizure of good to collect
i) bad debt or high risk

#18 Consumer Suggestion

Irisherra STILL not getting it!

Irisherra,

You are still not getting it! You state that you have never MADE the payment later than the 23rd. When you MAKE the payment is IRRELEVANT! It is when 5/3 RECIEVES your payment that is RELEVANT.

If you make your payment on the 23rd, YOU ARE LATE!!

And, it makes no difference when they actually post the payment. That is irrelevent. All payments recieved are usually timestamped by the mail room, etc. There is some record of exactly when your payment was recieved. Guaranteed.

>>>
Christ Bart...
So I was wrong about the law. Let's now look at the point:

My payment is due on the 23. I've never made the payment later than the 23rd of each month.

Yes, my receipts show timely payment (Hey Bart, in case you were having trouble comprehending - that means that I made the payment on or before the due date - clear?)

Yes, the payment record is perfect. What I am objecting to are the fat asses in the bank that sitting around eating pastries and letting the payment sit a week or so before posting it, which subsequently initiates the telephone calls from the rude gits at customer service.

Is this really THAT difficult for you to understand?

Irishserra
Akron, Ohio
>>>

Been there, done that.

AUTHOR: Billyjack - (U.S.A.)

As I was sitting here reading the original notice and all the rebuttals , I can sympathize with Irishserra.

I too went thru exactly the same thing on a car loan back in the 90's from the bank..I bought a new car in Febuary of 96..It was for 3 years (36 months) and my payment was $169.00 due on the 29th of every month..I would personally go to the bank branch and pay my loan about 1 week early to allow for posting ..I paid by check..Kept all cancelled checks and receipts that tellers gave me.(Which sometimes they did not want to give me a receipt and I had to force them too)..I went to trade the car in after it was paid for and found out I still owed another payment on it . I called customer service and requested a print out of all payments from day one be mailed to me..I got the print out and went over it with a fine tooth comb..I found out that 11 of the 36 payments showed late..My cancelled checks on back shows when the bank has actually cashed them and also when they went thru my bank..But these payments was not posted to my account until 10 days after the 10 grace period.. Which made my payments posting about the middle of the following month. Which of course, they were way late..

Also I had a charge card with the bank also..My charge card payments was posted to my car loan and I would get collections calling me and letting me know this..No matter how I did the payments they was always screwed up..My card would be closed and it would take 4 to 6 weeks to reopen after a credit card supervisor would go into my auto loan and seperate the payments.. If then.. The bank branch that I delt with on 3 occassions lost my checks that I made payments with..and then charged me a bounce check fee of $29.00..I was given cash back by a bank manager on one occassion to do a stop payment on the first one that they lost..The other 2, they refused even after I had a bank manager with my bank on a conference call with a manager from fifth third and myself stating that the checks never came thru my bank at all..So how could I have been charged a bounce check fee if the checks never was sent to my bank for processing? And to this day,they never still cleared..And I never got a copy of that supposely cancelled check either where it showed that it bounced, that collections stated that they had.

So when it came time to trade the car in everything was a mess..I close the card. Paid it off and got rid of the car and financed the new Mustang I bought thru another bank.. It showed by the printout and by my cancelled checks the exact day payments was received. So why did it take 20 days for my loan payment to post to my account after they had my payment for 20 days..the word Escrow..The bank made money off that $169.00 just sitting there..
I bought the car to help straighten out my credit after my divorce..Instead they tried to ruin it even further by sitting on my payments and not posting them until it was late , but funny thing was, that I was never charged a late fee..Cause I was never late..And thank goodness I had enough brains to keep all my records and cancelled checks..

I agree with Bart

AUTHOR: Melissa - (U.S.A.)

I pay all my bills online, and even then one has to make sure you allow for processing time. Paying on the due date is playing with fire.

Hi Nikki...

Hi Nikki...

I don't need the due date changed. I've not had an issue with payment. The issue lies in that after the payment has been made (on or before the due date), although the ultimate outcome is that I am not late and I do not have to pay late charges, the payment is considered late for the 5 - 7 business days that it is not getting posted into the system. I am given a handwritten receipt from the teller at the bank and then days later, the payment is posted in the system, and all is seemingly well. It's those few days in between that worry me.

Of course I was relieved to find that this does not affect my credit or payment history, but it is sad that someone in customer service calls and behaves in a very unprofessional manner toward an elderly man.

Of course, you're wrong and this is where your real problem is.

AUTHOR: Bart - (U.S.A.)

On or "just before the due date" is NOT timely. It will be posted as late-especially on the due date. A week before may be timely. End of story.
Your payments ARE NOT on time and that is why they call. Yes, the truth hurts your case but not as much as you are hurting your alleged grandfather's credit. Nice try though.

I know this mythical "law" you want to somehow hide behind is a farce and just a shock value tactic that makes you look more the fool. It also questions the rest of anything you say since you are now proven a liar and embellisher. You may want to look at the rebuttals again-I am not the only one calling you out on your bs story. Pay your bills on time and your alleged grandfather will not get anymore calls to bail you out.

Christ Bart...

So I was wrong about the law. Let's now look at the point:

Is this really THAT difficult for you to understand?

#24 Consumer Suggestion

Just clarifying something.

AUTHOR: Nikki - (U.S.A.)

Does your statement show if you make a payment after a certain date (which is about 10-15 days past your real due date) that you have to add a late fee? Many people think this is a grace period and use it. It is not a grace period. It is only an extra fee that gets tacked on if you're that late.

If they do not receive your payment by the due date, you will get phone calls. If it is 1 day past the due date, and they haven't received your payment, they call stating you're late.

Have they been calling your grandfather even after they have cashed your payment? Then you have a legitimate gripe with them. However, if they are calling your grandfather after the due date, but before they get the payment, then they are within their rights.

As early as just a few years ago, lenders would not bother you until you were more than 30 days late. They no longer wait that long.

I'm not trying to "brow beat" you. I just wanted to let you know about the grace period.

If you have had the loan for a while, maybe you can ask them to push your due date later a week a so to coincide with your payday.

Also, go online and look up simple interest loans (since that is what most car loans are) and learn about how even 1 day late negatively affects the balanced owed. You may find you will still owe a couple thousand dollars at the end of the term, that you will owe in one, last, lump sum.

#25 Consumer Suggestion

There are several easy solutions here

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

First, lets be clear on "timely" payments. The bank RECIEVED each payment BEFORE the due date?

Why not just use online bill pay from your bank? Then you have the record of the payment to show your Grandfather.

Then have your Grandfather call HIS bank about HIS loan. Let him tell the bank that they are full of it.

Or, set up a checking accout at 5/3 bank exclusively for the car payment. Only put your car payment money in that account and then set up an EFT to pay the payment. This is the easiest solution.

It sounds to me that you are running 1 month behind. Or you are mailing the payment too close to the due date. There is an obvious answer here, but we do not have all the facts.

There is a difference in

AUTHOR: Bart - (U.S.A.)

what someone considers "timely" which reading your alleged complaint is anywhere up to 29 days after the actual due date. And since you have twice failed to state that you somehow send in the payments well before the due date, they then are probably late. Not hard to read between the evasive lines and lack of real facts. Still waiting to see this 30 day "law" of which you speak.

But what nobody seems to be getting...

AUTHOR: Irishserra - (U.S.A.)

Is that I have not been late!

But according to the OP

AUTHOR: Bart - (U.S.A.)

He states that this law he is citing refers to up to 30 days late. Which I will guess is more on the end to which he is pushing his payment since he feels there is some sort of guaranteed grace period which only the contract would state-not some "law".

But according to the OP

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I definately agree with you that this company is in the art of bullying people into a corner. If you read the Fair Credit Billing Act (http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcb/fcb.pdf) in section 162, a creditor can not report you late less than 10 days after the payment is due. Therefore the harrassment is certainly unjustified and I would go as far as contacting legal counsel to see what can be legally done about the harrassment. I would not stand by and be a defenseless victim in this case. The law certainly affords consumers certain protections from unscrupulous individuals and corporations.

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Please site this mythical law:

AUTHOR: Bart - (U.S.A.)

"that by law, the bank can not touch his credit unless the payment has been 30+ days late"

Sorry, but paying on the due date or within some mythically law-enforced 30 "grace period" is not at all "timely". It makes you LATE and can certainly be reported.
The only one screwing your grandfather is you. Pay well more than a week in advance of the due date and it may work out better.