Complaint Review: Fifth Third Bank Western Ohio

www.53.com Internet United States of America
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Fifth Third Bank Western Ohio Fifth Third Bank, Fifth Third Bank Really Is This Stupid! Internet

* : Theives..yes. Idiots...perhaps not.

Recently, I went thru the after hours ATM at my Fifth Third Bank branch; however, this trip was more than words of frustration can describe.

Using the new (touch) screen format to get my cash, I must have accidentally pushed the radio button for one of my other inactive accounts that had a balance of less than $5. My withdrawal was for $60. Not realizing I had even pushed the wrong button, I took my money that the ATM spit out and took off. It was not until several days later when an overdraft notice showed up in my mailbox that I realized my error.

NOW you tell me.. what the f'k is a bank giving out money at their own ATM when it is not even in the account to begin with! I called my branch immediately to try and get this taken care of and they were clueless as to why the machine gave me the money unless it was because I had money in other accounts.. WTF... so basically a withdrawal that should not have cost me anything ends up running me close to $100! Idiots I tell you... the next  day I took all my money and went on to the credit union. Fifth Third Bank wants to rip off customers during a bad economy in any way they can.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/05/2009 10:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fifth-Third-Bank-Western-Ohio/internet/Fifth-Third-Bank-Western-Ohio-Fifth-Third-Bank-Fifth-Third-Bank-Really-Is-This-Stupid-In-490595. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fifth Third Bank Western Ohio

#1

Theives..yes. Idiots...perhaps not.

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (U.S.A.)

Yes the banks use tactics to fleece us..this is no secret. But in your case you admit to making an error at the ATM machine and took money from an account that did not have the funds.

Why the money came out of the ATM is because whether or not you were ever made aware..or given a choice by the bank at the time you signed up for that account..you have some type of overdraft protection..which allows you to overdraw from ATMs even if there is no money in the account..or less then you requested.

Now of course the bank LOVES you to have OD "protection"..because as you have discovered...a simple mistake can cost you plenty.

Now it goes without saying you need to be careful not to overdraft...but you can ask the bank to opt out of OD protection. What that will do is decline use of the debit card at point of sale..or at an ATM if the funds are not available. Personally I feel strongly that when you first open an account with a bank..that you should NOT be given OD protection unless the bank asks you if you want it..and explains what can happen if they manipulate transactions. I think if more people were aware..not only would there be less overdrafts..but less consumers to be victimized by it. But..since the banks a greedy crooks..and NOT idiots..would you not agree it is in their best interest to have their customers keep the overdraft "protection"?

Now it seems you closed your account to use a credit union..this is a much better deal..much safer to your financial well being..and if you compare the terms and conditions of the CU to the banks..it should become apparent the ripoff that the bank is..assuming you are using a good credit union.