Complaint Review: Fifth Third Bank

• Reported By: Upset Kevin — Chicago Illinois United States of America
Fifth Third Bank
ATM Chicago, Illinois United States of America

Fifth Third Bank ATM Problem! Chicago, Illinois

Let me start off by saying I have never complained on an internet message board and never plan on doing it again, but this is ridiculous.

I am a member of Fifth Third Bank and recently visited the closest ATM to my office to take out money that I needed to the sum of $400.

When I finalized my request I heard a lot of activity in the machine but nothing happened.  Finally it spit out a receipt that was clearly much different than any other I have ever encountered and never dispensed any funds.

I stood there and waited because I wasn't about to let the next person get lucky and have my $400.  Finally I decided to give it another try and requested $100.  This time it worked and gave me a proper receipt and 5 20 dollar bills.

I got back to my office and checked my statement and was shocked to see that I was charged $500 for the $100 in cash that I was actually given.  So I walked back to the ATM and dialed the number on the machine and it never once rang.

I called Fifth Third Bank who said they would look into it for me.  After not hearing anything for 24 hours I called back and was then told the transaction was still pending so I had to wait until it cleared.  24 hours later I'm told that now I can dispute it but it will take 10-30 days to be resolved.

So now, best case scenario is that I am without $400 from my account until they resolve their mistake?!

I do realize that they can't just credit my account because not everyone is honest, however, this can't be the best way to handle the situation.  If the bank can bill me for not having funds in my account when money is withdrawn (overdraft fees), why aren't the banks held responsible when they don't have the money to provide to their customers?!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/28/2012 12:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fifth-Third-Bank/Chicago-Illinois-60654/Fifth-Third-Bank-ATM-Problem-Chicago-Illinois-988198. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fifth Third Bank