Complaint Review: Fifth Third Bank

• Submitted: Fri, April 24, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, May 12, 2009

• Reported By:Louisville Kentucky
Fifth Third Bank
4801 Old Brownsboro Crossing Louisville, Kentucky U.S.A.

Fifth Third Bank - Takes Your Money! Rip-off, Overfraft fee nightmare, cheaters, fraudulant practices Louisville Kentucky

*Consumer Suggestion: Allow time for posting of deposits.

*Consumer Suggestion: Saturday is not a business Day!

*Consumer Comment: DUH

Do not bank with Fifth Third Bank. I have dealt with their bad overdraft practices in the past and watch my account daily to ensure that I Do Not overdraw my account.

Well it happened again when they did not post my pay from Friday when I deposited it on Saturday until Tues the next week. Since only $100.00 was available on Tues I overdrew $13.00. Even, though my on-line account indicated that I had $77.00 available balance.

They charged $111.00, $32.00. I deposited $200.00 to cover and overdrafts and I looked at it the next day and I had 3 more overdraft fees and still a negative balance.

So, DO NOT check your account on-line. They trick you by showing an available daily balance when that is not the case. The girl at the bank said that I should be using my checkbook transaction register and not the internet banking balances. Give me a break.

It never makes sense when they try to explain. They change the order of the transactions so that they can charge more and take as long as possible to post your deposits.

For this mere what they told me was a $13.00 overdraft, I have paid over $250 on overdraft fees. It's a scam if I have ever seen one.

I don't even want to think about how much of my hard earned money they have stolen from me. Whatever happened to your card not allowing a transaction if the money is not there. It's gone, because this is such a lucrative business for the bank to charge these fees.

Julie
Louisville, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/24/2009 04:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fifth-Third-Bank/Louisville-Kentucky-40241/Fifth-Third-Bank-Takes-Your-Money-Rip-off-Overfraft-fee-nightmare-cheaters-fraudulan-446343. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fifth Third Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Allow time for posting of deposits.

AUTHOR: Unknown - (U.S.A.)

I agree with Sue when it comes to Saturday deposits..Anything from Friday until Monday will be posted on Tuesdays..This is not rocket science..This has been happening since the caveman days at any bank in the USA.No bank is out to trick you or anyone else..If you go online and look at your balance, there is a difference between your account balance and your available balance..One will show your account with all deposits,etc.And your available will show what you can use now...You have to go by your check register (if you keep one) not online, atm, automated..You have to allow time for deposits to be posted..That is at any bank no mater who it is..Either Chase, Bank of America, 5/3, Mellon, or any large or small bank..Most people make deposits with checks and then go right out and spend spend spend..That money is not truly in the account yet to spend.. So that is why you get a overdraft fee for each transaction that comes thru b4 the deposit is posted..It is law that the banks has to wait to see if the checks you deposit is good or not. If they went ahead and posted that check and it did not clear then you would be complaining that the bank went back into your account and pulled their money back..If I was you, I would just pay for each and everything with cash..Make my deposit into my bed mattress..Then you really know where your money is going to.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Saturday is not a business Day!

AUTHOR: Sue - (U.S.A.)

If you go to the bank on a Saturday, it is the same as walking in the bank on a Monday. It is a government regulation that only $100.00 be available on the day of deposit, the following is avaible the following day. Since Saturday is not a business day, the rest of your deposit is not available until tuesday. If a holiday falls on Monday, then the funds are not available until Wednesday. Some banks choose to charge fees if funds are not available as the bank has not collected the funds yet. Some people I know, will cash their checks, then turn around and deposit the cash as cash is always available.

DUH

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

"The girl at the bank said that I should be using my checkbook transaction register and not the internet banking balances."

Smart girl. I bet she doesn't overdraw.

I use my register. If I write a check and it isn't cashed for months, that money is still spent.