Complaint Review: Fifth Third Bank

• Updated: Tue, January 29, 2013

• Reported By: Shannon — Tulsa Oklahoma United States of America
Fifth Third Bank

Fifth Third Bank Web Site Errors, terrible customer service, Internet

I have a Health Savings Account through Fifth Third Bank.  The account is managed via a web site at 53hsa.com.  The web site has never been good.  It is difficult to navigate and find the reports or information I need, but I managed.

Yesterday I went online to complete my final deposit for 2012.  I needed to deposit only $455 to max out my annual contribution.

When I attempted to make the deposit, the web page displayed a generic error message and stated "Please try again later".  I did try again later - twice - and got the same generic "an error has occurred" message - a total of 3 error messages.

Later, I logged back in to make sure that no deposits had been posted.  What I discovered was that all three attempted deposits HAD posted and were listed as pending transactions.  The web site gave me no way to reverse any of the three pending transactions.  Also, the system allowed me to deposit more money than my maximum allowed contribution for the year.

The next day I called customer service, thinking that a rep would be able to easily cancel out 2 of the 3 pending transactions.  I was told, no, pending transactions cannot be canceled.  I will have to wait until they post to my account, and then call Fifth Third Bank back to have 2 of them reversed.

This alone is crazy.  More crazy is that they cannot start a trouble ticket or monitor the situation (due to their error) on my behalf.  I have to monitor my account myself, make sure I have enough money in the account to cover their error, contact them on my own after the deposits post, and then ask them to fix their mistake.  Terrible, terrible service all the way around.

Then, when I asked the customer service rep to at least notify the IT department of the error with the web site so that they could fix the system, I was told that he couldn't even do that.  I'd like to know what good a customer service line is if they can't do anything about anything?

I will be finding a different HSA now, one with a better web site and much better customer support.  I recommend that no one open an HSA account with Fifth Third Bank.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2013 10:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fifth-Third-Bank/internet/Fifth-Third-Bank-Web-Site-Errors-terrible-customer-service-Internet-1005416. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fifth Third Bank