Complaint Review: Financial Recovery Services, NAFS

• Submitted: Mon, October 15, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, October 16, 2007

• Reported By:colorado springs Colorado
Financial Recovery Services, NAFS
165 Lawrence Bell Drive, Ste 100, P.O. Box 9027 Williamsville, New York U.S.A.

Financial Recovery ServicesFinancial Recovery Services, NAFS They say I had a credit card when I was 11 years old Williamsville New York

*Consumer Suggestion: Something to ponder

*Consumer Suggestion: Send them both a certified letter!

NAFS says that I opened a credit card account with CITI Bank in 1981, that would make me 11 years old at that time. In 2005 the account was closed due to non payment. In Sep. of 2007 I received the standard letter from NAFS telling me I owed them $804.82 The last name on the letter not even close to mine so I ignored the letter, then the phone calls started. These are some of the ruddest people I have ever talked with, cussing at me, told me they were going to sue me if I did not send them the money.

I instructed them that this was not my bill and that they did not even have my last name spelled right, they then wanted my social security number to verify that the account was mine, I told them to POUND SAND that they could give me the number they had with their records and I would either confirm or deni that they had the right number. After a cussing rant by Mr. Jackson with NAFS he hung up.

That night I pulled a complete credit history report on myself and found that there was not one negative on the report and had a score in very high standing.

A few days passed and more phone calls from other people at NAFS I told them the same thing that this was not my debt and that they had the wrong person they gave me the account number on the credit card, I found it odd that this number was only 10 digits long they told me it was a gas card. Did they have gas cards in 1981? I was tired of the round and round with these people so I told them to please cease and desist with the phone calls.

October 13, 2007 a computer message said it was important that I contact Financial Recovery Services concerning a debt that was needing to be paid.

October 15, 2007 called FRS and was given the same story that NAFS gave me, I told Mr.Peterson with FRS that they wernt going to get a dime from me.

Called CITI Bank for more info, they have no record of me ever having a late pay or a charge off they also said none of their cards are shorter then 16 digits long so they were not going to be abld to help me.

I don't know what to do next!! HELP!!!

Tom
colorado springs, Colorado

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/15/2007 04:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Financial-Recovery-Services-NAFS/Williamsville-New-York-14231/Financial-Recovery-ServicesFinancial-Recovery-Services-NAFS-They-say-I-had-a-credit-card-278885. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Financial Recovery Services, NAFS

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Something to ponder

AUTHOR: Don - (U.S.A.)

Here is a collector point of view. If the card was opened in 1981, and not charged off for non payment until 2005, someone has obviously been using and paying for the card. Not eve going to argue that it was you. To me this is not an issue od ID theft (at least by a stranger) though. Common sense would indicate that if someone stole your ID and opened a credit card account, generally they would not pay the bill for 25 years. Is there any chance this was opened by a family member or friend in your name? Statistically, most ID theft and fraud is from someone that you know.

In the end, they still have to prove that it is your debt. But you have to request that they do provide that to you.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Send them both a certified letter!

AUTHOR: Frank - (U.S.A.)

First, I trust that you understand that you are dealing with two organizations--NAFS and Financial Recovery Services.

As you can see by now, talking to these "people" does not help you at all.

Send them both a cease communications letter. If you want an example, see my post at www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff215225.htm. That report includes the text of a letter I sent to NAFS.

Be sure you send your letter certified, return receipt requested. Put the certified mail label/receipt number on the letter itself.

Do NOT sign the letter--leave it unsigned or just PRINT your name. Some dirtbag collection companies will forge your signature onto documents, so don't let them know what your signature looks like.

Since I sent my letter back in October 2006, the phone calls from NAFS have stopped.

Good luck!