• Report: #641950

• Updated: Sun, September 19, 2010

• Reported By: Christy — Las Vegas Nevada United States of America
Financial Recovery Services
4640 W. 77th St., Suite. 300 Minneapolis, Minnesota United States of America

Financial Recovery Services FRS, Financial Recovery Services, Inc. Once they had my account number they stopped taking or returning my phone calls!! Minneapolis , Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: Never give bank account #s to collection agencies

I received a phone call from Misty Koepke, an account manager, for Financial Recovery Services, Inc. and made an arrangement to pay off my debt at a discounted rate.  She assured me that if I needed to change the dates that the "automatic" checks would go through on that all I needed to do was call and there would be no problem as long as the payments were made within the month agreed upon.  First, she screwed up my account number and wasn't able to take the first payment out.  She called me and asked me to verify the correct account number with her and I didn't have my checkbook on me I told her I'd call her back with it.  I called her back the following day and she didn't answer so I left her a message saying that I was calling to verify the account number and to change the dates that the payments were to go through on.  I never received a call back.  The following day the first payment went through to my account.  My problem with this is that I never verified the account number with anyone...verification is when you make sure the number is correct by reading it to me and me saying something like, "yes, that's correct." (right?)  Also, I was never recorded, as I believe I should have been, authorizing the payment amounts and dates that they were to go through to my account.  I called her again to change the dates of the other payments and left two more messages.  I have never received a return call.  The second payment went through to my account on the date we'd previously discussed (even though I tried to change the date but never was able to get her on the phone again).  I have called her and left about 7 messages thus far and have still not received a return call.  Which made me wonder if maybe she was purposely not answering my calls...so I blocked my phone number to call her and got a message saying, "your call cannot be connected to the number you have dialed, please check the number and try your call again."Now when I try to call her phone number there is no voice mail anymore, it just rings and rings forever.

The only documentation I've received from this company was the first letter that had the original creditor and the current amount, which at that time was $1215.36.  Then I received a letter telling me that my payments were going to be processed, one for $100 and one for $250.  I have not received any documentation saying anything about the discounted amount we discussed and agreed upon.  This worries me because now they have $350 and I cannot reach them by phone.  The third, and supposed last, payment ($250) is supposed to go through about a month from now and I'm not sure if I should let it go through or cancel my bank account as I have no documentation stating the new amount to be paid to satisfy the debt.  I cannot afford, and flat out refuse, to pay the entire amount owed to the original creditor as over 65% of it is late and over-limit fees.  I am concerned now that they are just going to continue to take money out of my account whenever they please.  I have no real reason to trust that anything I pay them will, in actuality, satisfy any account or be represented on my credit report.

When I contacted my bank to see if there was anything I could do they told me that once a company has my account number they can pretty much do whatever they want.  If I don't authorize them to take any money out and they do anyway the only thing I can do about it is to file a police report.  Of which nothing would come of it because the police wouldn't care about this kind of stuff and short of hiring a lawyer and suing them (which I can't afford) I'm totally screwed.  So they CAN just take money out of my account whenever they want for as long as they want and if I don't get a lawyer and sue them there's nothing I can really do about it.  What the h**l is up with that?  And how am I supposed to know when they are satisfied and are going to stop taking money from my account when I can't get them on the phone???

It is pretty sad when I am trying to settle my debts and get abused like this.  At this point I don't know if I should let the next payment of $250 go through and see if that will be the end of it or not.  I would rather not just end up being out of that money altogether and not have the debt settled.  If that is the case I could have used the money paid to them to pay off another debt with a more reputable company and have it be settled.

All in all this company tells you what you want to hear, takes your account number and then refuses to ever talk to you again.  Even if you are really trying to settle your debt and not just trying to get out of it.  I mean, the amount I agreed to settle for (over the phone, no documentation of it thus far) was more than I ever owed on the original credit card, EVER.  So I was already losing out a little bit but was willing to do that to settle the debt...and then this.  It makes it hard to deal with any other companies to settle any other debts because now I'm afraid of being mistreated and abused by all of them.  This one incident has me leaning towards bankruptcy rather than just settling my debts one by one because at least once a bankruptcy goes through I know everything is settled.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/18/2010 03:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Financial-Recovery-Services/-Minneapolis-Minnesota-55438/Financial-Recovery-Services-FRS-Financial-Recovery-Services-Inc-Once-they-had-my-accoun-641950. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Financial Recovery Services

Never give bank account #s to collection agencies

AUTHOR: Steph - (USA)

You should never  give your bank account # to any collection agency over the phone they cannot be trusted .  My advise to you is do a stop payment then close the account and reopen it with new #s if they call and ask for the new account # refuse to give it.

If they are refusing to return your calls the caller scammed you . I never give my bank account #s to  anybody over the phone especially a bill collector.