Complaint Review: First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation

• Submitted: Mon, November 14, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, November 14, 2005

• Reported By:Upland California
First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation
www.firstam.com/warranty Upland, California U.S.A.

First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation Is acting in bad faith in replacing a central heating furnace. They offered a cash settlement of $225 a joke to replace a $3500 unit not including labor. ripoff Upland California

We purchased a new home in May and also purchased a home warranty policy. I reported a claim on the heating unit. The insurance companies technician concluded the unit had to be replaced. I called to check on the process of our claim after I had an opportunity to research possible upgrades to our heating system.

When I phoned the insurance company a week later after hearing nothing from them I was told they had ordred a furnace and if their technician did not install it they would charge me a 25% restocking fee. I informed them that I had not authorized any work or purchase and felt that the technician they had chosen was trying to rip us off. Their technician had managed to rack up $875 in charges to replace the new furnace "the insurance company would not pay".

I told them I wanted my own contractor to do the replacement and they then informed me that for a cash out there would be the 25% restocking fee plus a $60 work in progress fee and the total check would be $225. WHAT???? The repacement cost with no upgrade is $3490. They failed to transfr my calls to a supervisor and have not called back after I left messages. BAD FAITH!!

Upland, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/14/2005 09:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/First-American-Home-Buyers-Protection-Corporation/Upland-California-91784/First-American-Home-Buyers-Protection-Corporation-Is-acting-in-bad-faith-in-replacing-a-ce-164582. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation