Complaint Review: First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation

• Updated: Fri, February 25, 2011

• Reported By: anonymous — Sacramento California United States of America
First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation
P.O. Box 10180, Van Nuys, California United States of America

First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation They refuse to honor warranty in repairing heating because parts / providing new unit too high. Winter-no heat 2 months. Van Nuys, California

This company is the worst of the worst. Our heating went out two months ago, and each time they send the repairman, he leaves without the heat working. After three or four visits, the repairman says an expensive part is needed. After a few weeks, First American informs me a second opinion is needed. After a few weeks, the second contractor confirms the expensive part is needed. More time passes, and I'm informed that it will take a few weeks to secure the part.

Finally the part is installed, and the heating still doesn't work.  The response from First American : "We'll send the repairman out again." It started to become clear to me that this was all a planned run-around by First American, hoping that many customers would get frustrated and just have the unit repaired at their own expense. This will go on forever. It has been two full months in the dead of winter, and we are still at square one - no heat.

Potential customers need to be aware of another aspect regarding the contractors. The first contractor didn't even have a cell phone. When asked to leave a written statement on what he discovered as the problem, or his last name, he refused. Amazing. The second contractor, after working on the unit, simply began walking to his truck when he was finished. He made no attempt to inform me of what he had found or to let me know the unit was still not working.

Days passed, and after not hearing from either the contractor or First American, I called First American. They said "Oh, the contractor is coming out today". Absolutely no advance notice to me. They had no concern whether I would be home. They knew they needed access to the interior of the home to work on the unit. When I insisted that a new contractor take over this issue, First American said "no way".

These problems I just mentioned happened more than once with these contractors and First American.
My guess is that many customers will simply give up and in order to have heat for the winter, go ahead and pay another company to repair the unit. First American is aware of this and that most average customers don't have the money or expertise to hire an attorney.

One of my friends warned me about these home warranty companies in advance, but I didn't listen. He said the final card to be played is for the company to say that a pre-existing condition of poor workmanship by an earlier contractor is the reason the heating is not working and therefore First American is not responsible for repairs. I fully expect that this is what First American will be saying as their final effort to avoid honoring their contract.

I strongly urge homebuyers to avoid business with this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/25/2011 09:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/First-American-Home-Buyers-Protection-Corporation/Van-Nuys-California-91410-0180/First-American-Home-Buyers-Protection-Corporation-They-refuse-to-honor-warranty-in-repair-700114. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation