Complaint Review: First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation

• Submitted: Fri, August 22, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, August 22, 2008

• Reported By:Huntersville North Carolina
First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation
P.O. Box 10180 Van Nuys, California U.S.A.

First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation Just When You Thought You Knew a Company! Van Nuys California

I have read many of the complaints about First American Home Buyers, and up until now, I wouldn't have a bad thing to say about them. They had always provided good service in a timely and courteous manner. In fact, after our initial 1-year policy (which was included as part of the purchase of our home), we even renewed our policy with them two more times!

That being said, they apparently don't like to part with any of the premiums paid in to them.

We sold the house that was covered, and would have just transferred our policy over to the new house. However, the new home was just built, and had a warranty on everything for the first year anyway! So, I called and asked for the policy to be cancelled. I was told that I would have to put it in writing, and fax it to their cancellations department. Sent fax on 8/15/08 at 7:30 am EST.

After shuffling it from one side of the desk to the other, the policy was cancelled effective the following Monday, 8/18/08. Okay, no harm, no foul. Policy effective date is 12/19/07...so by my rudimentary math skills, I came to the conclusion that if my policy were a month-to-month payment, instead of paying everything up front, then I would have 4 months left on the policy--which I had already paid for.

That's where the problems begin. I called in to their service area (which in itself is an exercise in futility--you have to hit "0" about 6 or 7 times before it rolls over to the service center). Or should I call it the Lack of Service Center? They told me the amount of the check that I was supposed to be getting back, which doesn't match the amount that I figured. I asked for an explanation of how that number was calculated. I was told that this situation is normally handled by the cancellations department, and they don't have telephones there. WHAT???!!??

I asked for a supervisor. The person alleging to be a supervisor was fairly unprofessional, but gave me an email address of someone in the cancellations department. Fine, I sent an email, knowing that it probably would go unanswered.

Waited until this morning, to find out why I hadn't gotten an email back in regards to the miscalculated refund that was due to me. I spoke with a minimum of 6 people this morning, one of which claimed to also be a supervisor. If she is, she should be fired. She kept talking over me, insisting that I would need to go through "the chain of command" if I wanted to speak to a higher ranking manager. Her boss doesn't come in until 11am (Nice work, if you can get it!). And, she refused to transfer me to her boss's boss--chain of command thing...AARRGH!!

Called back, was told that the Renewals Department handles the calculation of cancelled policy refunds. Renewals handles that? WHAT??? Whatever, just transfer me again. Finally after another transfer or two (and a total of 45 minutes on hold trying to find someone to justify their calculations to me), I reached someone who actually ACTED like a supervisor. Took my name and number, and although she couldn't provide me the answer, she would contact the appropriate department and call me back by noon!

It's now 12:30---No Call Back. Shocked? Neither was I. I will update as information becomes available. But, don't hold your breath...I'm not!

I realize that the difference is only about $40 between what they say they are paying, and what I think I should be getting back. And, I've spent more than that in man-hours typing this report, let alone all the time I spent dealing with this company. But, if just one person reads this, and decides to save themselves $400+, not to mention a lot of stress and grief, then it was all worth it! DO NOT DO BUSINESS W/THIS COMPANY!!

Chuck D
Huntersville, North Carolina

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on First American Home Buyers

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/22/2008 09:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/First-American-Home-Buyers-Protection-Corporation/Van-Nuys-California-91410/First-American-Home-Buyers-Protection-Corporation-Just-When-You-Thought-You-Knew-a-Company-365728. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on First American Home Buyers Protection Corporation