Complaint Review: First Choice Emergency Room

• Updated: Thu, July 10, 2014

• Reported By: CLIENT — Austin Texas
First Choice Emergency Room
Dallas, Texas USA

First Choice Emergency Room - Billing First Choice Hidden Massive Charge Dallas Texas

*General Comment: Same here

First Choice Emergency Room does a great job of taking care of you UNTIL you get the bill and discover what they did not tell you. To walk thru their doors - the Facility Charge (the building) can cost you up to $3,000.00 and then you have to pay for the services you came in for. I did asked what the cost would be and they told me that Blue Cross Blue Shield would cover (pay for) the EKG and any other testing - THAT IS NOT TRUE. Had they been truthful and stated to enter the facilty would set me back $3K - I would have walked out the door.

In only three hours - they run up the cost on testing and X-rays not needed and then billed me what insurance would not pay. Their Facility Charge for the one visit is outrageous - $3,000.00 and that is Five Times what St. David's Urgent Care or the North Austin Medical Center Emergency Room would charge and Twenty Times more expensive than your Standard Emergency Clinic.

Please be aware that they are Ripping People by not telling you what the estimated cost would be then just sending you a bill for an unbelievable amount. I am not the only one as others have reported the same issue with overcharging at just this one location on YELP.  I saw this after I went in unfortuneately.

To make matters worse - the EKG and blood test proved that I was OK but the bill almost gave me another heart attack.  Their billing department does not care and managment does not return calls.

Please be careful where you go - I did not and a simple requested EKG is now costing me thousands of dollars. GO ELSEWHERE PLEASE.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/10/2014 12:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/First-Choice-Emergency-Room/Dallas-Texas/First-Choice-Emergency-Room-Billing-First-Choice-Hidden-Massive-Charge-Dallas-Texas-1161070. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on First Choice Emergency Room

#1 General Comment

Same here

AUTHOR: Concerned Citizen - ()

I too was shocked by the cost and was not informed.  If I had paid cash up front and not handed them my insurance card then I would not have had to face such high fees. If I had known how much It would cost I would have had them help me get to the hospital instead of staying for their services.

I am a single woman with one income and my insurance doesn't recognize them as an ER.  Even if the coding is changed they still may not recognize them as an ER even though in my situation it was a true emergency.  I ended up in the hospital that same night for an emergency surgery.

I hope one day that they will have to post the cost of their services and not surprise customers with high bills and hopefully someone will stand up for the little people who cannot afford an attorney to fight off their high costs.