Complaint Review: First Data Merchant Services

• Submitted: Tue, March 27, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, March 30, 2012

• Reported By: musicman4283 — Somewhere Nationwide United States of America
First Data Merchant Services
5565 Glenridge Connector NE Ste 2000 Atlanta GA Atlanta, Georgia United States of America

First Data Merchant Services Cost my business thousands of dollars in lost sales! Atlanta, Georgia

*Author of original report: First Data attempts to "fix" the problem!

*Author of original report: Bogus Rebuttal is written by First Data employee!!!

*Consumer Comment: Bogus Report

I used First Data for credit card processing at my business. One day I came to work and the first customer of the day used a credit card. It did not go thru and gave an error message saying that I needed to update my terminal. I called to do so and was told that my terminal was no longer supported and that I must buy a new one that wouldn't arrive until the next week.

First Data never sent me notification in advance of needing a terminal replacement and due to the inability to accept credit card my business lost several thousand dollars worth of sales. This is a very small locally owned retail business and this has greatly affected our operation financially. First Data showed no concern or any attempt to remedy the situation and even resorted to hanging up on me several times and transferring me over to answering machines. I spent 6 hours on the phone with them trying to get the problem resolved and ended up just switching to another company.

I began thinking that I may have to resort to a lawsuit in order to recover damages I set up my phone recorded and called them back. Immediately, I told them that I was recording and they transferred me directly to the legal department who essentially told me that everything was my fault, they were not going to remedy the problem, and that they didn't wish to speak anymore.

I would not recommend this company to anyone.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/27/2012 05:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/First-Data-Merchant-Services/Atlanta-Georgia-30342/First-Data-Merchant-Services-Cost-my-business-thousands-of-dollars-in-lost-sales-Atlanta-860182. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on First Data Merchant Services

First Data attempts to "fix" the problem!

AUTHOR: musicman4283 - (United States of America)

First Data called me today and finally agreed that they would send me a free terminal. I told them that we were on the phone for 6 hours the other day and they refused to resolve the problem so I had already contracted with another company for processing. They tried to tell me how to get out of my contract with said company. I told her that I would not engage in underhanded business practices like First Data does; I have already started to develop a friendly relationship with the new company and do not want to go back on a decision that I have already made.

After several attempts to get me to retain their services she gave up and decided to start with what I can only describe as intimidation and blackmail. I was told that if I canceled my account that they would charge me a $500 cancellation fee (even though I am no longer under contract as of almost 2 years ago). I said that I would not cancel the account, but that I simply wouldn't process any more cards thru it. She then told me that they would cancel it for me and then assess the fee. I told her that this is just another example of First Data using their corporate might to bully around small businesses and that if they wanted to find a way to bill me for cancellation of the account then that is their decision but that I would not act in the same underhanded way that they do and that I would be happy to pay to get them to leave me alone at this point.

I hate large corporations like this. Once again, I cannot stress strongly enough to other business owners to no use First Data for your merchant services.

Bogus Rebuttal is written by First Data employee!!!

AUTHOR: musicman4283 - (United States of America)

LOL. You must work for First Data!

My terminal is only about 10 years only and First Data told me themselves that it had reached End of Life and that it was incapable of being updated and used anymore. I suspect this may be lie in order to get $500 for a new terminal. The part that you conveniently left out about voice authorizations is that if I call First Data to do a voice authorization then at a later date all of the voice authorizations must be processed thru a terminal in order for me to actually collect the money. Considering that in my initial report I stated that I have already contracted with another company and no longer do business with First Data, do you think that I am gonna buy another terminal from first data just so that I can process a few days worth of voice authorizations?

The only smoke signal here is the one that you have lit indicating that you work for First Data! This type of behavior is typical of giant corporations. I am sure that First Data has a whole division of employees whos only job is to troll around on the Internet and try to cover up their failures. You blanket denial of my case only further illustrates the inconsiderate attitude of First Data and increases my resolve to spread the word to other businesses that they should not use First Data.

Sorry First Data! You have failed again.

Bogus Report

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

You could have resorted to the telephone touch-tone backup system. It includes a surcharge but at least you could have processed the sale. The voice system is a secondary backup but you didn't resort to that either. I suspect this complaint is bogus because any merchant knows to resort to one of the backup systems and I know for a fact that all merchants that accept credit cards have that ability.

Credit card terminals from 15+ years ago still work so how old is your terminal? Maybe yours still uses telegraph and smoke signals?