Complaint Review: First National Collection Bureau

• Submitted: Wed, May 27, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, May 27, 2009

• Reported By:Matawan New Jersey
First National Collection Bureau
610 Waltham Way Sparks, Nevada U.S.A.

First National Collection Bureau - Don Lander Won't provide proof of debt, degrading and insulting. Sparks Nevada

*Consumer Comment: Some suggestions

*Consumer Comment: Some suggestions

I received a debt collection notice from this company yesterday. I had no previous knowledge of this debt. I was told the alleged creditor had been mailing me at my previous address for two years and had utilized two other collection agencies to try and find me before finally locating me at my current address. I explained that was impossible, as my previous address is my mother's current address and I pick up my mail there once a month, and would have certainly gotten any mail from that creditor. Also, there was a forward put on my mail and the creditor would have gotten notice of the change of address if they tried to mail me something and it was returned. I went through two agents and was hung up on before finally getting a "manager," "Don Lander." "Don" proceeded to call me a liar, question my intelligence, scream into the phone at me, talk over me, not listen to anything I had to say, before finally calming down and letting me know that they did not have to provide me with proof of anything and that this was "already on my credit report," which is a lie, and that I "will not be able to open a bank account or pay for anything by check until 2014." That is also a lie. The man lied to me in an attempt to frighten me. Luckily I've worked in debt collection and know the law, however, if I ever spoke to anyone like that at my old job, I'd have been fired on the spot. I still have no idea how I'm going to get proof of this alleged debt so I can settle it.

Rick
Matawan, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/27/2009 06:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/First-National-Collection-Bureau/Sparks-Nevada-89434/First-National-Collection-Bureau-Don-Lander-Wont-provide-proof-of-debt-degrading-and-i-455675. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on First National Collection Bureau

Some suggestions

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

Rick,

If this isn't on your credit report, there's not much you can do other than a cease and desist letter.

If it is on your credit report, file a dispute with the CRA. You can do this easily online. They collector will then have to cough up some sort of verification.

There are other avenues of relief, but they are complicated, so I would try those easy steps first.

Best of luck!