Complaint Review: Fitness 2000 / Club System

• Updated: Wed, October 05, 2011

• Reported By: concerned — Fort Worth Texas United States of America
Fitness 2000 / Club System
14090 Southwest Fwy Sugarland TX Fort Worth, Texas United States of America

Fitness 2000 / Club System hidden fees, don't live up to agreements Fort Worth, Texas

*Author of original report: More research

*Consumer Comment: Any educated consumer will love this gym.

Basically, the membership is incredibly cheap, so it seems like a great deal, and most people just assume they can always cancel if they don't want to work out there any more. The problem is that in order to cancel, you must first call their corporate office (not any of the branches) and file a request to be cancelled. THEN, you must write a plain old postal service letter to their account people and send it in the mail. At that point, your membership will be cancelled in 60 days. They also don't notify you that you'll be charged an annual fee every summer of an additional amount (depending on the place, at ours it was $35) that will be automatically drafted from the same account you use to pay the dues. This IS in the contract, but it's hidden under a very obscure clause, and they make no effort to notify you it's there. When I called the local branch to ask about it, assuming it was a billing error, the representative acted as though I had offended him, and said I should have read my contract. It was at this point I decided to cancel.

I had previously cancelled my wife's membership, and everything went according to plan. When I decided it was time to cancel MY membership, letters were miraculously lost, information was scrambled, and it lasted JUST long enough to make it so I'd be charged the annual fee that came up in the summer. When I complained to their main office, the woman just told me "the only correspondence we received from you was in June. There's nothing more I can do." I explained to her it was in their best interest to make the cancellation go as smoothly as possible, not because I would sue or do anything else malicious, but because it's just a sign of professionalism that you won't be petty and try to hold up someone who's cancelling. Doing so will convince them not only not to come back in the future, but keep them from everything within their power to keep others from making the same mistake. She did not agree, and so this report has been filed.

Additionally, the annual equipment replacement fee was not used for equipment replacement. Mirrors in the fitness room were broken, multiple elliptical machines were in such a bad state of repair that they could not be used without endangering yourself or the people near you. The weights in a lot of the areas were cracked and showed signs of breakage. When I brought this up to the staff, they simply said "what do you expect? This isn't 24 hour fitness."

The level of apathy is the biggest concern for me, which made going there and dealing with them a major problem. If you want a cheap gym, use your money to buy some home equipment that you can be responsible for repairing; you'll find it a much better value.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/16/2011 07:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fitness-2000-Club-System/Fort-Worth-Texas-76137/Fitness-2000-Club-System-hidden-fees-dont-live-up-to-agreements-Fort-Worth-Texas-741434. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fitness 2000 / Club System

More research

AUTHOR: concerned - (United States of America)

I've done some research into the claims filed in the rebuttal, including going down and reviewing the club on my way home from work today.

They have updated their contract and their policy to be more informative since I joined (a couple years ago), so I'll gladly point out that is a lot better now. They did lose our letters twice, one of which was certified, so I had proof they had received it.

The rebuttal  doesn't address the attitude or the level of disrepair of the facility, however. When I came in with street clothes, the guy behind the desk seemed very helpful, and then I told him I used to be a member, at which point he seemed disappointed and interrupted me by saying that I had to fill out some forms. I told him I was interesting in seeing the place, and he stared at me for a second, and then said "okay, go for it."

The mirror was STILL broken. I quit four months ago, and they still haven't fixed that broken mirror. I went and pushed on one of the ellipticals I remembered being broken and the guy from the front ran out and said "hey, don't touch the equipment, you're not a current member."

I told him I'd seen what I needed to see and left.

The attitude and the repair level of the gym are still problematic, but the contract issue seems to be fixed, and I'll fully admit my experience might not be a typical example of the way things go on a regular basis there. That being said I still maintain that the attitude is pretty typical of a low-cost gym.

Any educated consumer will love this gym.

AUTHOR: NRH PD - (United States of America)

I was a member for 2 years me and my wife and we live here in Keller.  WE went in and looked around and really liked the energy and the smaller club feel.  Next we set down was offerred a few memberships and we decided on a 1 year membership.  We filled out the information and then the young man explained the membership and in a big black box it said there was a fee 1 time a year and below that it states that there is 60 day notice required and the  last month is 30 of that notice with we pay for now. There was nothing hidden it went very smooth and we were delighted with that. After the year passed our membership went month to month at the same monthly rate. Even though we love being there are lives were just to busy so we decided to cancel for a while. I called the club the gave me a 1 800 number to cancel so I called and they gave me the address to send in my request and stated i could send it sertified but not mandatory. I decided to just because so much gets lost with the postal service these days. I called the club a week later they stated everything was in order and told me to the day I could still work out till. We had a wonderful experience and got a email to come back at our same rate and we are going to. Everything went like clock work if you read and follow directions it will be so wonderful. Some people just so quickly want to blame others when they can not do the simplest things and want to get upset when it does not end up how they want it.    From a consumer who follows directions and reads what he signs it is a great experience.    Sincerly Billy Blain