Complaint Review: Fitness Club Warehouse

• Submitted: Thu, January 08, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, March 05, 2010

• Reported By:San Jose California
Fitness Club Warehouse
2210 S Sepulveda Boulevard Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Big Jim's Fitness Blowout, Fitness Club Warehouse False Advertising, Breach of contract, High prices, Horrible customer service Los Angeles California

*Consumer Comment: Ain't it the truth!

Where do I even start? I bought my elliptical from this company in June, 2007 for $1731. Within days later, I found an elliptical for $1495. Due to their 1 year 110% price match guarantee, but still only after days of arguing with the salesman "Arun Dev", I finally got 95% of the difference back, claiming "that's the lowest we can possibly go. Our prices are so low we'd lose money if we gave you any lower, plus we have a better warranty." Fine, the warranty IS better so I took the 95% difference.

A few months later, I find an elliptical for $1271. I emailed them, called them, no one responded. I gave up. Yet another few months later, the same month that 1 year guarantee would expire, I found another elliptical for $1171. I called and they said they absolutely could not afford it, they'd lose money, and besides, the warranty is better so it really isn't exactly the same package as the other company. The other companies all offer 1 year labor, 5 years for parts. Fitness Blowout offered 2 years free labor and extended lifetime warranty, which they claim is a $500 value. I argued and the guy tells me fine, I'll give you $100 because that's the only amount we can afford. If you can't afford it, don't claim you'll refund it on the site. And their prices aren't even low. So I argue and he says fine, I'll also make note that you did call BEFORE that 1 year was up. Well, they wait a week so that year is up and I call back having gotten no refund or answer, and they tell me one year is up. Luckily, I saved ALL my emails.

No matter who I file a claim with - false advertising with the government or with BBB, they even lie to them saying they already refunded me the money. They didn't refund me squat until they saw the government intervening and me sending letters threatening to sue, and it still was only $100. What about the other $271 + 10%? Forget it.

I figured they DO have a better warranty and my elliptical screen just died and the rubber handle grips are coming off. So I call them and guess what - the company that's supposed to service my elliptical went bankrupt so I need to pay for it myself. I said no, it was part of our contract that I get free lifetime warranty, even if I have to install it myself, I get the parts for free. They say they don't know where to get parts because Keys Fitness closed down so I'm on my own.

I mention the many times I never got my price match because of their wonderful, exclusive warranty which I'm now finding out is nonexistent. They even tried lying to me that my warranty was only 1 year to begin with. I checked their website and lo and behold, they changed their site.

I KNOW other people have been screwed by this company. Who's with me? I would love to file a lawsuit.

Funn1bunn1
San Jose, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2009 04:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fitness-Club-Warehouse/Los-Angeles-California-90064/Big-Jims-Fitness-Blowout-Fitness-Club-Warehouse-False-Advertising-Breach-of-contract-H-409748. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fitness Club Warehouse

Ain't it the truth!

AUTHOR: Ted - (United States of America)

I bought (and still haven't received 16 days later) an "ElliptiStrider" for $1,475, but Nick had to throw in the gold-plated warranty and a crappy mat for free to get me to go with it.  Same day, I found it on the manufacturer's site for $1,299, but a credit (that never happened) for $100 was the best I could get...so the free stuff cost me $76.  Again, they can't afford to lose money on the cheapo mat and the warranty they may or may not honor.  I wanted to cancel when I found a dealer on eBay dumping these for under a thousand, but they threatened a 20% restocking fee for something not yet removed from stock, so I relented...but they put my order on terminal hold while they've had my money for 16 days.  So, when I found this out today, I cancelled the order and put in a dispute for the entire amount...and sent along, to my GM Card issuer, about 25 web pages of complaints...and 25 web pages don't even scratch the surface with these clowns!