Complaint Review: Fitness Connection

• Reported By: Andy — Houston Texas United States of America
Fitness Connection
11320 Westheimer Houston, Texas United States of America

Fitness Connection Deceptive bussiness tactics Houston, Texas

Fitness connection worst than used car dealerships.

Wife and I walk in to find out about what types of memberships/prices they offered. Brad Clifton the sales guy, pulls out a paper and pen and starts writing down the prices for their memberships and tells me that these prices are only good for today. My wife asks if they offer spinning classes to which he says no, but he explains to her that they offer classes such as Zumba and aerobic classes , and proceeds to tell us that the class times are posted on the website at the beginning of every month.
Price seemed reasonable and we hang over to him our credit card. We signed a pad even before we see the contract, and as he hangs it over, he says thank you and walks away.  I glanced over it and to my surprise there is a highligted section which indicates "Maintenance fee: Nonrefundable yearly membership maint fee $25 plus tax paid each year on or about April 15th. " At this point I proceed to look for Mr. Clifton and ask him why weren't I made aware of this prior to making my decision. His reply to me was simply  and I quote" I totally forgot".. no apology or anything, just "I forgot.
I then request to speakt to his Manager, and a guy by the name of Mario Tagle proceeds to tell me that this fee is in the booklet Clfton was showing me while explaining prices. I proceed to tell him that the whole time Brad Clifton was speaking, he had the piece of paper covering half of the page, and only pointed out to me and my wife what the prices shown there were the regular prices, but because we came in today he was going to offer us discounted prices which he wrote down on his paper. ( He coverd the $25 fee that I was able to see when Mario pointed out at the bottom of the page) At this point he apologizes and reassures me that he will have a talk with Clifton, and by no means do they get trained to practive deceitful behaviors.

To my disbelief my wife calls the gym just for a simple question to the front desk to see where she can find out what other classes the gym offers, and the woman that answers the phone, tells my wife that no classes at offered at that location. So not only did Clifton fail to explain to us the maintenance fee we would be hit with next month, but he lied about the club offering classes as well.
In conclusion, I have typed up a letter to send to corporate to cancel the membership and express my concern about their incompetent employees, and will most likely renew my membershipt for my wife and I at the 24 hour fitness down the street.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2013 08:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fitness-Connection/Houston-Texas-77077/Fitness-Connection-Deceptive-bussiness-tactics-Houston-Texas-1027841. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fitness Connection