Complaint Review: Flagstar Bank

• Updated: Fri, March 08, 2013

• Reported By: James — Los Angeles California USA
Flagstar Bank
5151 Corporate Drive Troy, Michigan United States of America

Flagstar Bank Charging Fees when it's Flagstar's Errors, refuse to speak or help. Troy, Michigan

*Consumer Comment: Your fault

I have a loan with Flagstar, through a broker. They charged me a late fee on my mortgage due to THEIR error ( their error meaning their website was down when I tried to make a payment, and 3 different people told me there will be no late fees, especially due to President's Day on 2/18/13, so the grace period has been extended ) Yet, they charged me a late fee.

Received a statement and it showed a late fee. Called in on 3/1 and spoke to a young lady Alia to explain the issue. She took detailed notes and said she'll send the request in. The management team will review the case in 2 business days (est. on 3/5 or 3/6) and I should know whether they approve or deny within a week (Deny? there shouldn't be a deny since it's their error) She assured me it's just their customary language they have to use. I already had a bad feeling they do this to many customers so the service agents already know I will be charged.

on 3/7/13, I received a letter stating they have refused my request for a reversal of late fee. Called in and spoke with a Tony. After he reviewed my account for one minute, he insisted I paid late. Placed me on hold to speak to a supervisor and said the supervisor upheld the decision & refused to speak with me. I asked what was his full name. Just Joe, he doesn't have a last name when I asked. So it's Joe, the supervisor that will not speak with me deciding this late fee affecting my account when it's their fault.

The letter they sent me was dated 3/1/13, the same day I spoke with Alia. So as soon as I got off the phone with her, Flagstar issued me one of those mass produced computer generated letter signed by "Customer Service" Not even a name of a person. This means they don't want to be found or contacted and would rather remain anonymous. There was no review of my account by any person, or management. It was automatically regardless if it's their error.

I asked who is Joe's boss? Tony doesn't know. How about who manages the Loan Servicing Dept., he doesn't know. Tony said he will not provide me with any names or information.  This is truly a company culture as these low ranking customer service agents have already been instructed not to give out anyone's contact information.

So basically, they place unnecessary charges on people's accounts and do everything they can to make it impossible to get it reversed or even have someone I can speak with.

At any cost, stay away from this bank!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/08/2013 04:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Flagstar-Bank/Troy-Michigan-48098/Flagstar-Bank-Charging-Fees-when-its-Flagstars-Errors-refuse-to-speak-or-help-Troy-1025765. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Flagstar Bank

Your fault

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Mortgages are DUE on the 1st of the month.  Banks do give you a 15 day grace period before they assess a late payment penalty.    But that does not take away from the fact that your payment is still DUE on the 1st.  So unless their web site was down for 15 days, you had plenty of time to make your payment and still be considered "on-time".

In fact in 2013 Feb 15th was a Friday, and the Federal Holiday was not until Feb 18th.  So there is no "grace period" because of the holiday..because the payment was due BEFORE the holiday.

As for why 3 people told you there would be no late fees, I would bet that it is a case of "selective hearing" on your part.