Susan

• Submitted: Sun, August 03, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, April 19, 2014

• Reported By:Decatur Georgia
Floor And Decor
1690 NE Espressway, Atlanta, GA Nationwide U.S.A.

Floor And Decor DEFECTIVE ECO FOREST BAMBOO "HARDWOOD" -- REALLY "SOFTWOOD" Atlanta Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Bought and Installed Eco-Forest Bamboo Floors - No Issues

*Consumer Comment: Material looks great that I purchased today

*Consumer Comment: Contractors

*Consumer Comment: Eco Forest Bamboo Flooring - Had a great experience with this product

Floor and Decor is not standing up and admitting that there is a problem with its bamboo "hardwood" flooring by Eco Forest. I bought it for my living room and the installer kicked up every fifth board's edge. I had them pull it all out thinking it was the installers fault as he had not worked with bamboo. I bought it again and I had it laid by a licensed flooring installer that had vast experience with bamboo. It kicked up in several places again but I decided I couldn't bear more expense. Now it is completely scratched and pocked. It is so soft you can hardly walk across it with shoes on and not dent it. The managers at Floor and Decor have been obstructive, demeaning and defensive. Now they say they won't come and look at the product. It is up to me to get an inspector to come and look at it and determine it is defective .. then they will send their own inspector.

This has been a major headache. I was trying to do the right thing for the environment. Now I have paid for the flooring twice, paid to have it installed, de-installed and installed again .. only to have an awful looking floor where I had quite nice carpet.

Sam
Decatur, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/03/2008 08:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Floor-And-Decor/nationwide/Floor-And-Decor-DEFECTIVE-ECO-FOREST-BAMBOO-HARDWOOD-REALLY-SOFTWOOD-Atlanta-Georgi-358800. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Floor And Decor

Bought and Installed Eco-Forest Bamboo Floors - No Issues

AUTHOR: msc2012 - ()

I felt like I should comment as there is apparently little about Eco-Forest flooring online. After purchasing the product and not finding install directions, I had to check online to see the different types of installs. I never found that, but I found this Ripoff Report which was distressing as I had purchased the flooring out of town and was more or less stuck with it.

Specifically, I purchased and installed about 1,500 square feet of "Ming Dynasty" hand scraped bamboo, about six inches wide for about 1/3rd the price of anything comparable in North Carolina. I believe it is "stranded" bamboo, which makes it one of the toughest wood floorings available. It was also crazy heavy.

I can say I had no problems with anything mentioned here and potentially elsewhere. I have had no buckling. The flooring is seriously tough. I've rolled a fridge across it, dropped things on it, and I've gotten no more than a tiny dent. I've gotten a few small scratches that are only in the finish, but I have not noticed any quality issues in the fit, finish or quality of the flooring. I have yet to notice any scratches from my dogs running across the flooring either. My installer said it was the heaviest flooring he had ever installed.

I'd imagine Eco-Forest sells the gamut of bamboo, and if you buy a softer bamboo, it will be easily marked up. If you buy the tougher bamboo, it will not be marked up.

This is the only flooring I've ever bought, but I've had zero complaints about it... other than it saying "Installation Instructions Inside" and there were zero in the 70 boxes I had.

Material looks great that I purchased today

AUTHOR: DMan - (United States of America)

I just closed on my new home, and purchased 320SQFT so far, with about another 1000 to get. I was told bamboo (from eco forest) is more durable than Oak. It also has a 30 year finish warrantee, and a lifetime product guarantee. I've got it laid out to acclimate right now, but this report makes me nervous. Ifs definatly not soft and every board I've seen look extremely tough. I hope some other users of this hard wood leave some comments soon. Personally, I think you were taken for a ride on that deal. Were the boards air tight sealed within the boxes? Each box should contain 20.65sqft/carton, 20 pieces per carton. I've installed tong and groove pine walls and those are extremely soft boards. Theses are defiantly hard wood, no doubt about it.

Contractors

AUTHOR: Jason - (United States of America)

it is crazy to think that all contractors are problematic.  Think of the millions in this country that help create and maintain it.  I feel that consumers should also have to provide referrals of work relationships if asked by a contractor.  Some of the general public have tendencys to be very hard to work with, want something for free, or both.

AUTHOR: Davidm - (U.S.A.)

I read the report on floor and decor. I was very surprised. I have used the Eco forest bamboo flooring in three homes. I've never had a problem and have used it in high traffic areas. I laid the floor myself, so I have not had the experience of using a contractor to do it for me. it was easy to install, and after 4 plus years of heavy traffic, every location it is in looks as new as the day I put it down. I've never had to do anything special except damp mop it with mild cleaning solution. I think it is puzzling that the difference of experience i 180 degrees. However, I have very little faith in contractors of ANY kind, because nearly every time I hire a contractor, whether of Angie's list or some other referral source, I ALWAYS have problems - go figure!