• Report: #112064

• Submitted: Fri, October 08, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, May 22, 2012

• Reported By:Canton Massachusetts
Floor Coverings Int'l
5182 B Old Dixie Highway Forest Park, Georgia U.S.A.

Floor Coverings Int'l Ripoff Put You in DEBT for NOTHING! Forest Park Georgia

*UPDATE Employee: Floor Coverings International

The first contact I had was with their "Director of Franchise Development" Larry Carnell. Nice guy but VERY pushy. Per his instruction I filled out their online application, (with my SSN), they do a credit check and he is ALL OVER ME promising he will be in MA (where I live) in the next few days.

In that time I tried to get Larry to give me a current "Franchisee's" telephone number that I can speak with before making a decision - NOT going to happen. I tried contacting one of their "many" franchisees "throughout the US and Canada" - nobody would give me a straight answer.

Then I find all I get for my money is a maybe legal, maybe not in MA "franchise license", a couple of books and a CD. That's it. If I want any type of real training, I have to spend MORE OF MY MONEY to go all the way to Georgia! I have to buy my materials from them AND "marketing program" is just a bunch of brochures!

Canton, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/08/2004 09:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Floor-Coverings-Intl/Forest-Park-Georgia-30297/Floor-Coverings-Intl-Ripoff-Put-You-in-DEBT-for-NOTHING-Forest-Park-Georgia-112064. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Floor Coverings Int'l

Floor Coverings International

AUTHOR: FranchisePro - (USA)

I remember speaking with this gentleman late summer of 2004.   I understand his frustration of not simply being given detailed information early in the process.  Just because someone wants something does not create an obligation on the part of the other party to deliver it.  That's was not within my authority or the practice of the company or MANY franchises at that time (this can frustrate those not familiar with franchising, un-educated or those that simply believe you should comply with their demands).  His demands and expectations that a franchisor is required to simply turn over a list of franchisees without adhering to the franchisor's process is an unrealistic demand. Such list - so early in the process - without an agreement to meet personally was and is routinely not given within the franchise community - this is to not only to protect the company but also to protect franchisees from marketeers.   I was actually trying to meet with Jonothan so that he could meet the requirements to obtain such a list - but for whatever reason - I had difficulty in getting him to respond and meet.  If he felt I was being pushy and that I should simply provide him a list without a meeting when he was not willing to work within the confines and routine guidelines most franchisors worked within (and still do at this time) then he was being unrealistic and rather unprossional to now be complaining.   This lack of education and sense of entitlement to information is not rare among many candidates.

Franchises are regulated under FTC regulations regarding the distribution of disclosure documents - much of which may be proprietary and/or relatively confidential and not distributed to anyone that simply requests such information.   At that time, we routinely had competitors and others attempting to obtain proprietary information by simply calling in and asking us to release that information.

The challenge we had with Jonothan - was that he initially appeared opened to meeting.  When informed by emails and phone calls told that I would be in the area to meet with another client he didn't respond that he was no longer interested.  Therefore I had no way to know whether or not he was interested.  I was diligent in making every effort to connect with him to give him every opportunity to meet while I was in the area - he either didn't respond or seemed evasive (at one point we thought that he was a competitor in the area - and still don't know whether he was or not).  He kept wanting more information but didn't seem to want to commit to a meeting in person (only by phone) - very strange.  He ultimately slams the company and makes statements that are not true - we never had a face to face meeting with him to illustrate what he really gets and why.  Many were VERY happy... don't see how this guy can really speak from a knowledgeable position when he never met with a representative - He just seems mad someone wouldn't give him a list.

Every company desires to keep operating expenses down and the last thing we wanted to do was fly to the northeast and then miss the opportunity to meet and then have to incur additional expenses to return.   Professionally it would have been polite to have simple responded and to say that he was no longer interested.    - Management did have some questions as to why would Jonothan said he wanted to learn more and  was not willing to even meet with a company representative that would be willing to fly up to meet them - as such I was directed to keep calling.

He may feel that is pushy - we simply wanted a response and definite answer.   I was required to give weekly update reports to management for each person we received an application on.  They required and felt that continued efforts was being someone good at follow up and working with someone who had express interest in their concept.  If anything, the candidate might have created a false sense of interest by calling and filling out an application and then not responding or simply stating he was not interested.

At one point he states I'm a nice guy - which I am.... but later states I'm pushy.  The role of any GOOD sales representation or consultant is to move the process along... but that requires an exchange of information.   There are not many successful individuals that simply sets back and waits for things to happen.  Decades of award winning expertise and numerous designations including being listed as a LinkedIn "Top Recommended Professional" strongly suggests that I have helped a large number of individuals - Over 10,000 help find and/or fund a business.

In any sense - a breeze blowing against a sail that doesn't wish to move is "pushy"... but not realistic... Most successful individuals are "assertive, persuasive and persistant"... I must admit that I am guilty of that.

Best wishes to Jonothan - whatever he may be doing now.