Complaint Review: Florida Beach Destinations

• Updated: Fri, July 29, 2011

• Reported By: Sherry — Trussville Alabama United States of America
Florida Beach Destinations
644 S. Atlantic Avenue Ormond Beach Fl. 32176 Internet United States of America

Florida Beach Destinations Florida Sport and Recreation Deceptive - Service not as claimed Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Timeshare vs Florida Beach Destinations

*Consumer Comment: FBD

My husband and I attended a presentation at the Florida Beach Destinations office on April 4, 2010.  We were presented with detailed slides showing different rates hotels charge at different times of the year.  Then showing us the wholesale price of the room, then the price after our "club rewards" were applied.  We would be buying wholesale because they are one of six wholesale companies in the world that purchase hotels at a 40% savings from the hotels themselves every October.  We were presented with examples such as why would you stay at a hotel 6 for $69 a night when you can stay at a Ritz Carlton for $69?  You would be able to do this because you are buying wholesale and then the "club rewards" would discount the stay further.  Same for savings for cruises.  We would be getting better prices than travel agents and internet companies.

Since we enjoy traveling we thought this would be great.  We paid $4995 for a membership and in October will have to pay $149 annual membership.  We were told that we could cancel the contract within 3 days.  The problem was we could not access the website for 14 days to check out the great deals.

After we had the opportunity to check the prices for hotels we were totaly shocked.  In no case did we find any wholesale prices.  We compared Florida Beach Destination prices hotel for hotel, same time of the year, with the hotel website and found that in several cases FBD was more expensive.  The only time we found a better price was when the "club rewards" were applied.  This is not what we were buying..we were buying wholesale and then the "club rewards" would further reduce our stay.  Why would anyone pay $4995 for a couple of dollars in "club rewards"?

I have checked out other "deals" with Florida Beach Destinations.  I am renting a car in Ft Lauderdale for July 1 thru July 5th.  The cheapest price on FBD website was $193.92.  I booked with the car rental agency for $159.43.

They also send out their "Hot Escapes" every week.  I printed the last one.  There was a Mediterranean cruise with Oceania for $4,218.per person.  Guess what?  I checked the Oceania website and it is the same price.  Where is the wholesale price with that?

I have spoken and emailed my concerns to Flordia Beach Destinations on several occasions.  On May 11 I sent a registered letter demanding a refund.  I then called my credit card company and the charge is currently in dispute. This is another thing we bought the package from Florida Beach Destinations, but the charge on our credit card states Florida Sport and Recreation.

I have a thick file where I have compared apple to apple, so to speak with the hotels and cruises I compared.  If you would like to see any of these I will be glad to email them to you.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/29/2010 09:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Florida-Beach-Destinations/internet/Florida-Beach-Destinations-Florida-Sport-and-Recreation-Deceptive-Service-not-as-claimed-618693. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Florida Beach Destinations

Timeshare vs Florida Beach Destinations

AUTHOR: Florida Beach Destinations, LLC - (USA)

The complaint above has been resolved. There was a miscommunication and misunderstanding about certain faucets of our program which we explained to the customer and all has been taken care of.

In response to timeshare vs.  travel club question: One of they key differences is price. Someone who purchases timeshare generally spends thousands of dollars on the property, in addition to a yearly maintenance fee which goes up in price every few years. It isn't uncommon for someone to spend more on a timeshare than our program. The maintenance fees most people spend a year are often more expensive than renting a condo through our program, yet the customer often spends thousands more for the timeshare. Additionally, we offer hotel, cruise and car rental discounts, along with a whole host of products and offerings not available through a timeshare company.

When you factor in the cost of our membership, yearly annual dues fee, product and services, and also take into account we allow multiple family members on an account: it's a win-win vs. timeshare!

FBD

AUTHOR: Mike - (United States of America)

My wife and I attended the presentation today 7/20.  We mainly did it for the free gifts since we had just bought timeshare 2 days ago, but also wanted to see what the vacation club was about.  My wife felt a little uneasy about it from the beginning, since she normally saves around $50 per night using priceline.  I kept an open mind and really had some thought especially about the cruises.  After the presentation was over I was looking at the listings they had written on the wall and noticed that they had a cruise listed for an interior cabin and remembered that during the presentation they stated that they only booked oceanview and suites.  This threw up a flag and changed my attitude some, another thing that didn't set right with me is that they kept bashing timeshare and insisted that I should cancel immediately because it is a ripoff.  Since you have used timeshares, what are the downfalls?