Complaint Review: Florida Power & Lights

• Updated: Sun, April 20, 2014

• Reported By: Anonymous — Miami Florida
Florida Power & Lights
Miami, Florida USA

Florida Power & Lights FPL Transferred my account balance to Tenant Miami Florida

I lost my job in November 2012 due to becoming chronically ill and not being able to function at work with chemotherapy and medicine. I managed to pay my bills from my savings until I ran out of money in August 2012. I retained an attorney to assist me in filing bankruptcy. She advised me to close my bank accounts and utilities and open new ones under bankruptcy rules. I was already in arrears with FPL and called to speak with their bankruptcy dept (Sandy). She refused to place my account in a pending bankruptcy state, so I had to use my estranged husbands details to open a new account. He is an Over the Road Truck Driver and I see him perhaps three times a year. FPL then took my balance and transferred it to my Estranged husband's account.

As I don't have a job since 2012, I had to move into my efficiency and take on a border. He pays hubby the mortgage and although the electric was opened in his name, he prefers to pay me or hubby the rent including the FPL amount in cash.

Recently, FPL took the balance from my hubby (which is actually my balance) and transferred it to my Tenant's account number. Now my tenant is threatening to move out as he is not responsible for my previous electric balance.

I now fear that FPL is going to disconnect my tenant's electricity for my balance, which is still pending filing bankruptcy as I don't have the $2600 to pay the attorney.

I have tried to speak with FPL, requested payment plants, requested they call my attorney and at this stage they still refuse to work with me.

If I don't resolve this issue, I will lose my tenant, have electric disconnected, and jeopardize the opening of the home daycare when DCF give me my license and approval.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/18/2014 02:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Florida-Power-Lights/Miami-Florida/Florida-Power-amp-Lights-FPL-Transferred-my-account-balance-to-Tenant-Miami-Florida-1139970. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Florida Power & Lights