Complaint Review: Florida Rock and Tank Lines

• Updated: Tue, March 27, 2012

• Reported By: nybnr — hollywood Florida USA
Florida Rock and Tank Lines
Ft Lauderdale, Florida United States of America

Florida Rock and Tank Lines FRTL, florida rock & tank lines, I wish I didnt waste my time with this company Ft Lauderdale, Florida

*UPDATE Employee: Not true

*UPDATE Employee: Florida Rock and Tank Lines FRTL

I would not wish this job on my worst enemy, I started this job thinking it would add to my driving history/skills, well It could have but I now know first hand I don't want it.  If your thinking of this like I did  STOP!!!!,,, Read this first

First things first you need to have a clean Criminal record to get a TWIC card and a Port I.D. Next you get the interview, he does not inform you of lots of things  like  You Will be in Training for three to four weeks at 100 a day  and a FULL 14 hr day  ( first do the math on that one ,, 100 divided by 14 hr's is 7.14 per hr ) yes NOT even minimum wage .
Trust me you will do the full 14 hr's a day  reason why is the Trainer is getting paid PER Stop, the more stops "HE" does the more "HE" makes whether your in the cab or not.

Now as far as the Trainers go if your too slow and having never hauled fuel b4 he will take over so he can do more stops .   we averaged 4 stops a day,, he gets 35$ per stop local to 120$ more than 90 miles You get 100$ per day ,,, you can make more at mic e dees for that kind of money they give you .    Now on the 2nd week they order your uniform this is paid for by YOU ,, what is says on my check is as follows : Description uniform : Amount $ 120.00 : Year to Date $  120.00

Anyway  during my training I found out before I can start hauling fuel and recoup some of this money I shelled out for this job  I would have to take Individual classes at more than 5 fuel companies that FRTL hauls for, and I would be tested by another company to be aloud to work for FRTL.. If I did not pass the test  I could not haul fuel ,, then what job will I be doing for FRTL if I wont be able to haul product   This test is to get a card  that will allow access to get the fuel then haul it for FRTL, I don't think a company will send another driver to pick it up to hand it off to me if I couldn't pass the test at the "Other" company Way too much to do and get in-order to drive for FRTL don't waist your time .

you will spend 3-4 weeks making 100 a day 5 days a week 14 hr days , need to get a min of 5 cards ( passing 5 classes ) for the potential of 5 weeks later to finally earn 35$ a stop   dont waste your time with this company unless you don't like money

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/03/2011 03:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Florida-Rock-and-Tank-Lines/Ft-Lauderdale-Florida-33315/Florida-Rock-and-Tank-Lines-FRTL-florida-rock-tank-lines-I-wish-I-didnt-waste-my-time-784317. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Florida Rock and Tank Lines

Not true

AUTHOR: semicrazy - ()

I would not wish this job on my worst enemy, ether lol. But I would wish it on my best friend. I've worked for the rock almost two years now. I'm 42 years of age, best job I ever had, ever.

This fella doesnt like getting paid to learn his job, really?  Your not bringing the company in a dime, and yet they pay you, pretty sweet deal I thought.

He spoke about twic, and record. Not sure the problem there, you got to have pretty clean record to haul fuel sooooo if your record is clean twic no problem right??

Uniforms are free.

Very odd to work 14 hours,(in one day) but awesome if you do,, likely made over $300. in one shift, btw it wasnt like you'd be digging ditches, very easy work you wont break a sweat. But no day dreaming must keep focus and be in the moment or you will make mistake. But not too stressful not phyically demanding. I work atlanta market so there's bit of traffic to deal with.

He talked about loading test,, that nothing to do with the rock,,, thats the loading terminals,,they just want to know you can load truck without blowing the plant up and killing everyone,,,,not too much to ask for. I have about 10 or 11 loading cards one for each terminal I load at. Tested for each no problem, once you get your first card rest will be easy,,,nearly same process at each plant.

So as far a Florida Rock they are a fine company. If you gonna haul fuel your not hurting yourself to look at the rock. I can't say their the best company out there, haven't worked for the rest.

Florida Rock and Tank Lines FRTL

AUTHOR: girlytrucker - (United States of America)

1. Yes, you do need a clean criminal record in order to receive a TWIC card. Florida Rock nor any other trucking company has anything to do with this. Believe me, trucking companies would rather you didn't have to have a TWIC card to enter the ports. If you are unhappy with this, write to your congressman. Beyond that, there's not much you can do if you work in an industry that requires you to enter ports unescorted.

2. Training is "officially" 2-4 weeks but will last longer if either you or your trainer feel it is necessary. Working a 14 hour day every day is highly unusual as this is a slip seat job that runs two 12 hour shifts. My average work day in and out of training is 8-10 hours. I've had a 4 hour day and I've worked a 14 hour day, but this is not common at all. Training pay is $100/day. Once you complete training you should receive what they refer to as New Driver Incentive Pay. That's $400 your first week out of training PLUS your load pay, $300 the following week, then $200, then $100.

3. The classes at loading racks consist of watching safety videos followed by the terminal manager of the loading rack observing you loading a truck to make sure you're doing it both safely and correctly according to their individual policies. If after 3-4 weeks of training you're unable to safely load a truck then you need a new trainer. P.S. If for some reason you're unable to get the card for a loading rack the company actually will send another driver to load for you until the problem is sorted out. This happens sometimes when too much time (90-120 days) has passed since you last carded in at a particular facility.

4. Uniforms are $120 only if you quit within your first year, otherwise they're free. The uniform is 5 shirts and 5 pants, along with a set of flame retardant coveralls at some terminals.

5. Load pay is percentage based, however since all loads pay the same percentage the pay has been broken down into a mileage based system. Local loads within 30 miles of the loading facility are $35, 50 miles is about $47, 100 miles is about $80, 150 miles is about $115. I have at least two loads daily over 100+ miles. It takes me aproximately 4 hours to load, drive, and unload a 150 mile load. At $115 that works out to about $28 an hour. If I have to come all the way back to where I originated it's just under $17 an hour, but that's not always the case. After you've trained 2-4 weeks, and driven solo for 3-4 weeks, your pay should balance out to $600-700 a week for your first year. Load pay goes up by about $5 per mileage block for every year of service up to 5 years. For example, a first year driver makes $35 minimum on a local load, a second year makes around $40, a third year makes around $45, and so on. A local load shouldn't take more than 2 hours from start to finish, this is works out to about $17.50 an hour. If it takes longer to load, unload, you're stuck in traffic, or there's any problem that you didn't create that prevents you from completing your load, after 45 minutes you go onto an hourly pay of $15.