Complaint Review: Food Lion - Delhaize America - John Mullen - Danny Williams

• Submitted: Mon, January 31, 2005
  • Updated: Wed, January 07, 2009

• Reported By:Kill Devil Hills North Carolina
Food Lion - Delhaize America - John Mullen - Danny Williams
Corporate Office: 2110 Executive Drive SouthernShores/ Kill Devil Hills/ Nags Head/ Avon/ Corolla, North Carolina U.S.A.

Food Lion - Delhaize America - John Mullen - Danny Williams ripoff! Discrimatory practices! Verbal harrassment! Unfair treatment! Set-up for termination! SouthernShores/ Kill Devil Hills/ Nags Head/ Avon/ Corolla North Carolina

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: It happens all the time

Upon finding out that I needed surgury for uterine cancer, I put in for a FLMA leave ( 6/1/04 thru 8/1/04 )of approximately 8 weeks.

On my last day of work prior to going to the hospital, I was told by my store manager, Danny Williams that he hired another person ( a buddy of his )for my department, and that when I return from medical leave I would need to see the district manager to find out where I might be placed as there would not be a place available to me at my current store.

I responded that I would be back at my store and his friend could see the district manager and be placed elsewhere. Before I left work I emailed my district manager, his boss, his bosses boss, and the president of the company. This memo was done in a business manner, stating that this treatment was unfair, and pointed out behaviours that were inappropriate for these managers and district managers.

I heard from no one during my absense, and upon my return to work on 8/1 ( after just receiving my schedule a day before my return) was constantly observed by various managers and specialist for my department (produce). On my 2nd day back to work was reprimanded for a freshness issue ( the guy in my place destroyed the department and is known for leaving out bad product), which was going to indeed take me a week to correct.

I knew what was coming and what I was up against. This store manager just wanted me gone. Food Lion then proceeded to issue me 3 written warnings and I was terminated on 9/11 - Their Personal Policy is used and enforced only when they want to get rid of someone - otherwise, it is nonexistant in application.

I had contacted the Department of Labor - their response: well they gave you your job back, can't do anything. I filed with EEOC, their response: it does not exactly fall in any of their discriminatory areas. I have been issued a "Right to Sue" letter and have 90 days to file suit, which I fully intend to do.

This company is well known for the treatment they give their employee's, especially in the Outer Banks area, as we are a tourist location. In season, they'll kill you with work, off season, they'll cut back your hours to as little as 12 to 30 hours and ride the daylights out of you, change all the rules and procedures and then throw it out the window when all the big busks come in from the summer season.

I was a good employee, good worker and loved what I did, my helpers and customers liked and appreciated me as well, and I had never been reprimanded in 4 years. All of a sudden in site of a months time after coming back from medical leave, ( and writing that memo)its bye-bye.

Bonnie
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/31/2005 12:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Food-Lion-Delhaize-America-John-Mullen-Danny-Williams/SouthernShores-Kill-Devil-Hills-Nags-Head-Avon-Corolla-North-Carolina-27949-27948-27959/Food-Lion-Delhaize-America-John-Mullen-Danny-Williams-ripoff-Discrimatory-practices-129563. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Food Lion - Delhaize America - John Mullen - Danny Williams

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

It happens all the time

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

This also happened to me. I have been with the company for 13 years and because of twarting a store managers sexual advances I was set up & fired. After fighting it they transferred the manager but I was still without a job. I have seen this happen time and time again. The workers definatly need a union at this store.