• Report: #19904

• Submitted: Tue, April 30, 2002
  • Updated: Sun, November 07, 2004

• Reported By:Riverside NJ
Ford Motor Companies
16800 Executive Plaza Drive Dearborn, Michigan U.S.A.

Ford Motor Companies Ripoff, Substandard Fuel Tank in Ford Explorer.Ford Won't Talk! ripoff deception tricked and lied to us Dearborn Michigan

*Consumer Comment: More on bad Ford explorer fuel tanks

*Consumer Suggestion: How to get to the top of Ford and expose the Dealer Dirt

*Consumer Suggestion: Fuel Tanks Can Go Bad

*Consumer Suggestion: I have a suggestion

Ford Motor Companies Customer "Service" Dept. is refusing to give me additional contact information so I may obtain information on what my local Ford dealer is calling a "Bad Fuel Tank".

I own a 1994 Ford Explorer. This is a family vehicle that is used to take children to school, baseball etc. This vehicle is not used to tow anything or baha through the Himalayas.

After smelling fuel we took the Explorer to our local Ford Dealership Service Center. I was told that the Fuel Tank was bad and needed to be replaced. Fuel tanks go bad??

I contacted Fords Customer Service Dept and was practically laughed at. They have stated "No, there is no person in the Ford Organization that can tell you why your Fuel Tank is in need of replacement" They also will not comment on the average lifespan of a fuel tank.

During my 2 week adventure of calling and being lied to by everyone, I did find out that Ford has recently stopped doing business with the original manufacturer of the Fuel Tank. Why?? No comment from Ford. I also found out that the new manufacturer will not be producing the fuel tanks until September of 2002. Not too much longer, right?

As of now, the Ford Dealership has rigged the fuel tank with a new fuel pump, fuel line and tank straps to the tune of $1200. They THINK this will work. Do they THINK I will put my children in this vehicle? Does anyone THINK that Ford Motor Companies should tell people that their lives may be at risk??

I think that Ford as a company is absolutely disgusting! They could care less about the consumer once the warantee runs out. You are no longer a Ford Customer after that point. How is this allowed to continue?

The personal safety of my children, my spouse and myself have been put at great risk. As well as the safety of anyone riding along side me on a day to day basis. Is it going to take a tragedy and a public outcry for Ford to listen and respond???

Lisa
Riverside, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/30/2002 01:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ford-Motor-Companies/Dearborn-Michigan-48126/Ford-Motor-Companies-Ripoff-Substandard-Fuel-Tank-in-Ford-ExplorerFord-Wont-Talk-ripof-19904. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ford Motor Companies

More on bad Ford explorer fuel tanks

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

Last week I filled up my 1994 explorer and after driving it for approx. 18 miles I noticed a STRONG fuel smell after getting out of the vehicle. I have been a mechanic for over 25 years and being a do it your selfer,I pulled the fuel tank myself. (crappy, dirty job!!) After wrestling with this thing for 5 hours, I finally got the tank lowered enough to see what was going on. I should mention that before I pulled the tank, I looked under the vehicle and the leaking was coming from the top of the tank so I knew I had to pull it. Anyway, What ended up to be leaking was the metal tubes coming out of the tank which is part of the fuel pump assembly. Easy fix right? WRONG!!! What is troubling is this. The fuel tank is made out of polypropylene plastic which is great for corrosion resistance. The problem is that where the fuel pump attaches there is a metal ring molded into the plastic on the tank that another metal "lock ring" locks the fuel pump assembly into the tank for a leak free seal. Since the ring molded into the tank wasn't made from stainless steel or at least galvanized, it corroded beyond belief and rendered the fuel tank worthless. It is in my opinion that this should not have happened. This fuel tank is sub-standard. They had a good idea initially, however, they left a weak link in the design.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

How to get to the top of Ford and expose the Dealer Dirt

AUTHOR: Jim - ()

We as consumers all know that there a bunch of bad car dealers nationwide. I have contacted Ford for a few problems with my Ford truck in the past.

I unlike most car buyers do as much research before I buy a car and before I have it repaired.

If you feel that you are getting no help form your bad Ford dealer, go to the top. Here is how you do it.

Henery Ford had a great grand son named William Clay Ford. If you want to be heard, you need to email him directly at WFord@ford.com His fax number is 1-313-390-0423.

Post your Rip Off Report in great detail and mention the names of all of the clowns at the bad car dealer that are not helping you.

After you post your Rip Off report fax it to the bad car dealer and then fax it to Ford Motor Corp.
Their is a man named Nick Scheele that is one of many big shots at Ford Motor corp. If I were you, I would also fax a copy of your Rip off Report to him aswel.

His fax number is 1-313-390-0423 same as William Clay Ford. If you want to make more waves, You can fax a copy of your Rip Off Report to Ford's Stockholders department at 1-201-222-4177 Their toll free number is 1-800-279-1237.

Ford also has a charity department. You might contact them and ask for a donation to fix your Ford car or truck. The address is Ford Fund, One American Road, P.O. Box 1899, Dearborn, Michigan. 48126 Their toll free number is 1-888-313-0102.

I must not forget to mention another Ford department that you could fax a copy of your Rip off Report to. This department is called Ford Global technologies, Inc.their fax number is 1-313-322-6814.

Go to www.Fordbetterideas.com and email them aswel. Email thim a link to your Rip off Report. at newideas@ford.com

We as car buyers must never forget that car dealers only want to rip us off by selling a a car or ripping us off in their controled service department.

I say screw them all right up their CORN HOLE.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Fuel Tanks Can Go Bad

AUTHOR: Alec - ()

Firstly, I am not affiliated with FoMoCo in any way, and am not directly defending the company. In fact, I agree that sometimes their customer relations and product satisfaction leave much to be desired. That being said, let me continue:

Fuel tanks can go bad. This is by no means an isolated incident, especially on an 8 year old vehicle. Just like any other part that contacts corrosive chemicals or materials, a gas tank can eventually succumb to destructive corrosion. Since this problem has occured on a fairly old vehicle, I do not believe Ford is responsible. It would be different on a vehicle less than 5 or 6 years old.

My suggestion: get an entirely new tank. Good replacements are usually available at junkyards for $30-100; or through the aftermarket for under $500. Depending on the location of failure of the tank, the new pump and lines (and associated gaskets and seals) may fix the problem. I think you should locate the site of the problem and the exact problem. I have also heard of gas tanks being patched with plastic or metal patches. Good luck, but again I don't think Ford is directly responsible.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

I have a suggestion

AUTHOR: Ann - ()

I am the not so proud owner of a 2000 Ford Focus. I have had the car 18 months and have had 16 problems including, but not limited to, 1-car flood from a warped manufacturer part, 4 seat belt repairs, and 5 ignition repairs, and one faulty feul gage. I started dealing with Ford in March to take my car back, and finally they are cutting my check. Do not go through customer service!! Look up Ford motor company on line and call their direct office in Michigan. Go to the executive offices. I did. Customer service did nothing for me. Those executives are getting paid alot of money. Mae them work for it by making them deal with their faulty product and not some customer service representative.