Complaint Review: Ford Motor Company

• Updated: Wed, January 23, 2013

• Reported By: Big K — Norfolk Virginia United States of America
Ford Motor Company

Ford Motor Company ENGINE STALLS/SHUTS OFF WHILE DRIVING Internet

*Consumer Comment: What's the Ripoff?

Purchased my 2005 Ford Expedition new in 2005 from a Ford Dealership in Covington, TN.  I have owned my vehicle since the original purchase.
In 2010/2011 I would be driving down the road and my vehicle would stall and flash "Check Electronic Throttle Control", I would have to navigate to the side of the road and with the engine off, put the vehicle in park, completely turn off the ignition and turn over.  Once I turned over initially it will not start, but on the second attempt the vehicle starts and drives normally until the next unexpected stall and repeat the same process.  This was occurring approximately once every week.
In early 2011 after researching online and filing a report through the NHTSA and complaints to the Ford Motor Company I only received information indicating that I need to replace my Electronic Throttle Control and would cost around $600 to do so.
This is a known problem for this vehicle and posses a high risk to drivers safety although nobody is taking any action on this issue.
After getting no resolve from NHTSA or Ford Motor Company I was forced to fork out over $600 to have my Electronic Throttle Control replaced and fortunately I have had no issues since.  My concern is there are reports that indicate some owners have had this re-occur and having to replace the component again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2013 10:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ford-Motor-Company/internet/Ford-Motor-Company-ENGINE-STALLSSHUTS-OFF-WHILE-DRIVING-Internet-1001866. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ford Motor Company

What's the Ripoff?

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

When you bought the car did it have and eight year warranty?

If it did, you may have a case.

The new part you have installed likely carries a warranty, but if you got eight years out of the original part, you'll likely have sold/traded your '05 before that time.

How many miles do you have on this eight year old vehicle? Probably at least 80,000.