Complaint Review: Ford Motor Company

• Reported By:North Tonawanda New York
Ford Motor Company
www.ford.com Internet U.S.A.

Ford Motor Company ripoff Internet

I have a Fusion which I picked up in late April or early May. The vehicle is standard shift (less braking, if you know how to drive - which I flatter myself that I do). At 14, 400 miles, the rear brakes wore through to the rotors, which required machining. Sounds stupid, but there was no brake squeal or other indicator of a problem, until I heard that metal-on-metal sound. My front brakes (don't the front brakes do most of the stopping??) are fine, but my rear brakes -- gone. Completely gone.

Also, since having the brakes repaired and rotors machined, I am getting about 3 more miles per gallon than previously. This says to me that a caliper was hanging up or something. I'm no mechanic and as a chick, I don't know more about cars than how they work, how to change my own oil, and other basic stuff. But I'm not an idiot.

Ford Motor Company has offered, grudgingly, to reimburse half the cost of the brake repair since, in their words, 'brakes should last about 30,000 miles and you were halfway there'. Well, okay, FRONT brakes should last 30K miles. Only once in my 25 years of driving, though, have I had to replace REAR brakes before 50K-60K miles. I'm wondering a) is it me? Am I being unreasonable expecting not to have to replace rear brakes on a brand new car at 14K miles? b) Are others seeing a similar brake problem with the Fusion? With other Fords?

Additionally, the 'customer service' I've received from FoMoCo has been abominable - a rude little snot on the 800 line; a two week wait for a reply from the web site. Is this common? My last six cars have been Saturns and as soon as I am able to sell the Fusion for enough money to break even, I'm going back to Saturn. It's less car for the money, but they fall all over themselves to help you. Would appreciate any input.

North Tonawanda, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/02/2006 04:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ford-Motor-Company/internet/Ford-Motor-Company-ripoff-Internet-213720. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ford Motor Company