Complaint Review: Forever 21

• Submitted: Thu, March 01, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, October 02, 2010

• Reported By:Sacramento California
Forever 21
Arden Fair Mall Sacramento, California U.S.A.

Forever 21 Shady Business Practice at Forever 21 Sacramento California

*General Comment: Really?

*Consumer Suggestion: Perhaps checking the policy before hand would help?

*Consumer Comment: I AGREE

My girlfriend was a fan of Forever 21 at the Arden Fair Mall, and we have been in Forever 21 a number of times. Recently, they started selling men's clothing there. Last Monday, I bought a long-sleeved, button down shirt there. It was on sale. I bought it without trying it on first, and thought that it seemed a bit small for a "large". I gave them the benefit of the doubt about it being labeled correctly.

The next day, Tuesday morning, I tried to put on the shirt, to wear to work. It was too small. I have bought a number of shirts lately, and this is what other shirt makers call a medium.

It was OK, I thought, because I meticulously saved the bag, the tag that was attached to the shirt, and the receipt. Everything was clean, unused, and unwashed.
When I went back to the store that same Tuesday, in the evening, which was the day after the purchase, I was amazed to find out that not only could I not return the shirt, not for cash, or for credit back to my card, I could not exchange the shirt for a larger one, as they don't allow exchanges on sale items.

I was told that this policy is printed on the receipt, which it is, and that I should have read it before I left. I replied that I was given the receipt after I purchased the shirt. The supervisor there then said that I should have been told by the salesgirl yesterday, what the policy is before I purchased the shirt. I said that she did not tell me, which is the truth. They had an answer for that, though. They pointed to a sign on the sales counter, off to the side, which had a list explaining their sales policy. I didn't notice it when I bought the shirt, nor did I think that I needed to look for such a thing, as I have never heard of such a policy before, on new clothing purchased at a mall store.

I then went to the woman at the mall information desk near the store, who sympathized with me, and concurred that she had never heard of such a thing either.

I went to the website of the Office of the Attorney General of the State of California, and found out that what Forever 21 did is legal.
I think that it is shady, nonetheless.
You be the judge.

Sacramento, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2007 01:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Forever-21/Sacramento-California/Forever-21-Shady-Business-Practice-at-Forever-21-Sacramento-California-237523. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Forever 21

#1 General Comment

AUTHOR: Amanda katherine - (U.S.A.)

Most stores have a policy that states that if you buy something that is clearance/on sale, that it is FINAL sale and is not returnable or exchangeable. Also, you should get into the habit of asking of the policy is on ALL of your items BEFORE you buy them if you're shopping in a store for the first time.

Also, if you "thought that it seemed a bit small", why didn't you try it on? They have fitting rooms for that reason. Plus, it was a button down shirt. You could have easily just tried it on right there over your current shirt (unless you were wearing another button down shirt w/o an undershirt) and found out that it didn't fit. Simple solution.

I hear people complaining about Forever 21's policy every time I'm in there. What I don't understand is, if you're going to get that worked up about not receiving a refund and the cashier didn't mention it to you when checking you out, why didn't you ask about the policy in the first place?

Quite honestly, I'm sick of hearing people complain about the policy.

If you don't know it, ask to have it explained to you.
If you don't like it, don't shop there. There are plenty of other stores out there for you shop at.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Perhaps checking the policy before hand would help?

AUTHOR: Kathyryn - (U.S.A.)

I understand it can be annoying but that sort of policy is not rare. I've been an avid shopper since I was quite young and every store I've shopped at has always stated that if the item is sale/clearance than it is not returnable.
I'm sorry the shirt didn't fit you but the policy is typical. To avoid such things in the future make sure the item fits you to start with, especially since you were having doubts in the begining, and check the return policy.

AUTHOR: Jess - (U.S.A.)

their policy where only full price items can be returned for store credit within 21 days is ridiculous.

also, they messed up while checking me out and had to void the transaction from my credit card. needless to say, there was no voiding. when i contacted the company about it, they agreed to fix it, but ended up charging my credit card for the same amount a second time!!

I am boycotting shopping there, even if they do have decent clothes at good prices. Is anyone else with me?