Complaint Review: Fortune Builders

• Submitted: Thu, April 04, 2013
  • Updated: Sun, April 07, 2013

• Reported By: Anonymous — New York
Fortune Builders
4655 Cass St Ste 214 (between Diamond St & Emerald san diego, California United States of America

Fortune Builders Fortune Builders SCAM! san diego, California

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Company response

Fortune Builders is a SCAM! My friend dragged me into attending one of their three day events for $197 in NYC for free, I was a little skeptical.... I am not going to reveal my identity but I know they will find me and probably shut me down, but if I can save one person by reading this post, my job is done! The presenter was a young charismatic gentlemen by the name of Jon, conducted the seminar. For someone that doesn't know jack about real state, he seem very knowledgeable with his slides and utilizing mass hypnosis techniques that he probably learn in one of those landmark based new found knowledge public speaking seminar from the midwest, however you cannot fool a New Yorker like myself! Im not rude to those I consider foolish, especially this young kid that might be old enough to be my son, I opted not to strenuously and lamentably evade him in public. Within the first three hours, not being allowed to speak or ask questions (Mass control technique) I immediately knew what I was in for. [continued below]....
..... I was very disingenuous and felt insulted by the gimmicks and tricks, all I can ask myself is who is behind this big Circus? I decided to stay to learn more about their SCAM! and curious to know how the person who they claimed was FLAT broke and about to be evicted from their home was able to become successful, when they lead you to believe that they make money by helping people through lending money to students who do the deals. After drilling into our heads how everything they do is all about using OPM (other people's money) my friends get a kick on this! they had us do an "exercise" on how we would "find" funds if we had a "once in a lifetime deal" fall into our laps and we needed to get the money. They also repeatedly said how if you have a great deal the first thing you do is get it under contract then you find the money and if its a great deal the money will find you. So why are they doing an exercise on listing the ways we would get funds??? " Who owns their own home outright? Who has credit cards with high balances? raise your hand" LOL easy marks... Once you raised your hand you made it to their A list which qualifies you to Than Merrill's Money making mastery program, so we were instructed to write down the different ways we would get our hands on funds and investors, all while their hawks (FB advisers) were roaming the room looking over people's shoulders to see what they were writing. Nothing like making the audience think it's an exercise that is going to help them, when all you were doing was trying to identify who had money that you would then focus on. They also use the so called Mastery Application which is actually used for targeting the few people who might have the funds to do this! It was very insulting and I suspect most people didn't even catch on.(mass manipulation cult techniques) Their up-sell is the "Mastery," which they wanted $25K for. Good luck with the new york crowd! The reality is, Fortune Builders makes all of their money from getting people to pay them for their classes /mastery program. I applaud those new yorkers that had the guts to tell these idiots what the really thought during their Mastery interviews. I was amused to have heard one of the advisers whisper to one of his fellow co-workers," how tough the New York crowd was! they were not going to make any money during this seminar." since the mastery program is how this company makes their fortune and their employees commission paychecks. Finally, Jon broke down the different levels and kept going over the wonderful things that a person would get if they just Invested. Here is the breakdown, keep in mind that prices vary between states.(NYC prices are much cheaper!) You ready for the break down? Here you go, their Platinum level if you but it FULL is $34,997.00 dollars, but if you buy it today its only $24,997.00 dollars, the computer program, mentors, coachs, online training can be yours and guess what, you save $10,000.00 dollars. Next is the GOLD full price is $29,997.00 but buy it today for only $19,997.00 dollars, next is the Bronze full price$19,997.00 dollars, but it today for $14,997.00 dollars and then lastly is the Life Experience for full price of $14,996.00 but today only $9997.00 dollars. you get the Idea. Don't be fooled by this company, if you don't believe me do your research and utilize search engines well! You will not find anything but good press and rebuttals for bad reviews written by their very own employees. If you have knowledge of Landmark/cults etc. you will notice their cult-like lingo in some of their rebuttals and great reviews. FB even has their own sites with the Fortunebuildersscam.com visit real state forums and ask questions. A week after the event I received a call from them asking if I was still interested, they offered a reduced quote for their Mastery program, half price! NO THANKS!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/04/2013 11:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fortune-Builders/san-diego-California-92109/Fortune-Builders-Fortune-Builders-SCAM-san-diego-California-1040844. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fortune Builders

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Company response

AUTHOR: Than - CEO - ()

This is Than and I am the CEO of the company mentioned in the post above and I felt the need to personally respond to the inaccuracies and generalizations stated in this anonymous post.

As you know anyone can write anything online whether it is accurate or not. To call me and my company a scam or a cult is disheartening and could not be further from the truth or reality.  We are a reputable and legitimate business with a team of excellent, caring, and hard working team members and employees who have been in business for a number of years. We also have an extremely successful group of remarkable and committed students who have built very successful real estate investment businesses all over the country.

If anyone reading this has a question or an issue related to my company in anyway I encourage you to contact me directly. I personally never make quick judgments, without reaching out to the source directly, as Ive learned over the years that these snap judgements more often than not end up being wrong. I, nor anyone in my company, will ever hide, or post anonymously.

Here is my personal email and my phone number if you have any concerns or need help in anyway:
thanm@fortunebuilders.com
858-255-1116

My response is lengthy because I take a lot of pride in our programs and how we help people start and grow their own businesses. I always do my best to get any issue resolved in a very timely manner. Nobody is perfect, however I will never hide from anyone who has a question or an issue with me personally or with my company.

Unfortunately, this anonymous post has a lot of inaccurate statements about our company and coaching programs that can be cleared up very easily with better information and education on what we actually do.

First, we NEVER offer and have NEVER offered anyone a discount on any of our coaching programs after one of our seminars is over. We do have various live educational events and coaching programs for beginners that are very different and much less involved than the different levels of Mastery. With many different educational coaching programs and levels, I can see how it can be very easy for someone to confuse what program is being discussed. Especially considering that most programs have a coaching element included.

Our programs and prices have been the same for years and we have never offered ANYONE a special deal after one of our seminars. Likewise, they do not change state by state. So for this post to state we offered Mastery at half price is simply not true, did not happen, and would never happen. Its clear that this anonymous post misunderstood the information.

What most likely happened is a beginning level of coaching or a different level of coaching is what was discussed with my office. In fact, I am happy to clarify for anyone exactly what we offer if you are confused in anyway. All you have to do is reach out to me.

I also would like to address the part in the post about us teaching people how to raise money for their real estate deals, their business, and their education. This is an essential part of starting any business. In fact, the majority of real estate investors and business owners for that matter dont have enough capital to get started and finance their individual real estate deals. These are the very techniques weve been using in our own real estate business for years. We have financed our business operating costs, our education, and 80%+ of the properties we have bought using other peoples money.

To say we are using raising capital as a technique to find out who can afford our coaching programs isnt necessary. If anyone voluntarily decides to apply for one of our coaching programs they know they will filling out a full financial and personal profile as part of their application. This is not different than what you would do when you apply for any continued education, college, or online university that has a considerable investment.

In fact, we tell everyone before they voluntarily pick up an application for coaching that if they choose to apply we will need to know where they stand financially in order to properly qualify them and make sure:

1.  They can financially qualify for the program

1. They have enough reserves to run their business when they are getting started before their first few deals
  2. They have enough time to truly commit to the business
  3. Their financial goals are realistic and quantifiable
  4. And they are coachable and willing to put in the work, time, and effort necessary

We are very open about this from the beginning and everyone who chooses to apply gets to take the application home with them to review and decide if they are OK with moving forward in the application process. So the statement in this post that we are hiding something is simply not true. The commitment to apply for coaching and to start growing a business is a big decision and we want the people who do voluntarily choose to apply to make sure they are making the right decision.

This is a high level business and financial coaching program where we are teaching people who are or will be making major investments in real estate and other asset classes over the next couple years of their life. Getting a snapshot of where someone is financially and where they want to go is essential to coaching and actually being able to help them achieve those goals.

This is also why we go through the exact investment in detail in front of everyone, so its clearly disclosed and every participant knows exactly what financial commitments are required.

We do not force anyone to sit down to discuss any of our various coaching programs and or consulting services. The people who want to apply will take the time to go through the interviews and those who dont see the value simply dont apply.

In the post there are also some statements about Jon our instructor that sadden me. Frankly, Jon is on of the most remarkable people I have ever met. I am honored to call him a friend. I also know anyone reading this would be honored as well if you got to know him personally. To get where he is today Jon had to overcome an unthinkable tragedy and numerous obstacles that I hope nobody would ever have to encounter.

I have known Jon for years and he is one of our first coaching students who started investing in real estate at a very young age. We have loaned money on some of his real estate deals over the years and I know first hand how successful he is.

More important than his successes is his character. Jon has a huge heart and everyone who really knows him and spends time with him will attest to this. In fact, he has championed charitable initiatives within the company you can see at - www.FBgives.org

The fact that Jon has been so successful in business at such a young age makes him an inspiration to many people. We get letters and emails every week from students about the profoundly positive impact he has had in their life.

Unfortunately, when you attack someone like Jon, it only hurts others. We get testimonials from our coaching students every week not only about their successful deals, but also how we have helped them in numerous other areas of their lives. Jon and our company have literally changed many of our students lives with what we have taught them about the business and personal development over the years.

In fact, for anyone who would like to see just few examples of our students case studies which are shared in our programs every week you can just visit our main website.

Can we guarantee someone is going to be successful in real estate just by making an investment in our coaching program? Absolutely not. Although we have numerous success stories we cant force someone to do the work or put in the effort necessary to be successful.

All coaching and educational programs can do is increase your probability of success. It cant guarantee it, but learning from others who have done the business successfully we believe is the best option to model those results.

I do also know, that anytime a student feels like they are falling behind and reaches out to us for help, we always do our absolute best to continue working with them to reach their goals. No program is going to perfect for every individual, however we are constantly working at figuring out how we can constantly improve the experience for our students.

At our seminars we also let everyone know how hard and how much work this business takes and the many obstacles they will have to overcome as they build their business. If you are willing to work hard, stay persistent, and apply our business model and resources this business can be extremely rewarding.

When you consider how profitable real estate investing can be when you have the right systems, the majority of people realize the value of what we offer. To give you a good comparison, an average business franchise costs between $75,000 to $150,000 and in my opinion offers much less than what we offer to our coaching students. Most franchisors offer a business model and a name however very little guidance, systems implementation, or coaching along the way.

I do agree with post above that there are many people who cant afford what we offer. However, whenever we discuss coaching at one of our seminars, the feedback from the vast majority of people is that they appreciate learning about our programs and their options. There will also always be a small number of people who dont like any promotion regardless of how beneficial it may be to them personally or to the others who welcome an opportunity to learn more.

I personally believe in what we offer and have seen the results over and over again with our students. I also understand that we are not for everyone and that is okay.

To attack our credibility or to say we dont do invest in todays real estate market is simply false. I know that if anyone were to come spend a day with me at our real estate investment offices here in San Diego, meet our investment team, and tour our numerous real estate projects that we have on ongoing every single month they would have a different perspective.

Once again, if anyone reading this has an issue or a question about our programs or company, I encourage you to reach out to me personally as I am not one for going back on forth on the internet. I will also do my best to resolve any situation you have. Once again I am not perfect, but I always try and learn from others and do the right thing. I realize we can learn from everyone as well and constantly strive to improve.

thanm@fortunebuilders.com
858-255-1116

Thank you for taking time to read this post.

Kind regards