Complaint Review: FreeCreditReport.com

• Updated: Mon, January 07, 2013

• Reported By: cf68659 — Raleigh North Carolina United States of America
FreeCreditReport.com

FreeCreditReport.com Unauthorized Charges to Account Internet

*Consumer Comment: Me too!

*Consumer Comment: Thanks, Useful Info!

I got a credit report from FreeCreditReport.com, as I thought that it was a reputable credit score website. The language on the site indicates that you can get a credit report for only $1.

There is additional language concerning at monthly 19.99 charge for member services that is easily missed, and it is not clearly explained how to go about canceling your membership (which you are automatically signed up for when you register for the $1 report).

On the same day as the $1 charge on my card, I was also billed $32.95. When I called to ask about this, they at first refused to refund me - telling me that this was clearly stated on the site. I persisted that this was no where on the site and that I be given a refund.

We went back and forth until finally they agreed to the full refund amount. I'm writing this not because $32.95 is so egregious - but because of the principal. Online companies need to know that they cannot do this to users. I wouldn't be angry at all if the language on the website clearly reflected these charges but they are obviously trying to sneak things past users and it's unacceptable.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/31/2012 10:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FreeCreditReportcom/internet/FreeCreditReportcom-Unauthorized-Charges-to-Account-Internet-989245. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FreeCreditReport.com

Me too!

AUTHOR: snprice - ()

Like you I was charged the $32.95 for supposedly clicking on a link for a 3 bureau report.  At no time did it ever point out that I was going to be charged $32.95.  Deceitful tactics if you ask me!

Thanks, Useful Info!

AUTHOR: Steven moseley - (U.S.A.)

Like you, I ordered the $1 credit report 2 days ago.  I wasn't sure if it was an auto-enroll scam (the language doesn't say anything to that effect), so I did a search and found this page.  I went back to the site and scoured around to find the language "hidden in plain sight" at the top of the page (above the logo, where banner ads usually go, and where the user's eye is trained not to look).

Anyhow, I haven't been billed the 19.99 yet.  I'm going to call them today to cancel my "membership" that I was tricked into.

For anyone else who's curious, you have to call to cancel.  The number is 1-877-481-6826.