Complaint Review: Freedom Boat Club

• Updated: Tue, August 05, 2014

• Reported By: Fred L — Sarasota Florida
Freedom Boat Club
Nationwide USA

Freedom Boat Club End membership but they keep charging you! Sarasota Nationwide

*General Comment: Freedom Boat Club does Not Misrepresent

*Author of original report: Freedom Boat Charges

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: FBC Membership Agreement

Freedom Boat Club continues to charge members dues for two months after they receive notice that a member wants to cancel! That's over $200 a month, for a grand total of $424.00, with sales tax here in Florida. I called and spoke with the owner of the business and he had absolutely no reasonable explanation for the continued charges. So, if you join the Freedom Boat Club, remember to stop your membership 60 days in advance or the Club will laugh all the way to the bank with your money.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/05/2014 07:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Freedom-Boat-Club/nationwide/Freedom-Boat-Club-End-membership-but-they-keep-charging-you-Sarasota-Nationwide-1167463. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Freedom Boat Club

#1 General Comment

Freedom Boat Club does Not Misrepresent

AUTHOR: Scott - (USA)

Fred L. Complainted that it is a "rip off" that he was charged for two months following his providing notice of ending his agreement.  This is not a rip off but is a standard activity associated with any leasing agreement (an apartment, a car, etc.).

When signing an agreement, it is the responsibility of the leasor/buyer to read and understand the terms.  The company is not ripping you off if you fail to do that.  I think it is irresponsible to attempt to besmerch the business reputation of a company due to one's own failure to understand what they are agreeing to.  Again, if you rent an apartment, or lease a care, you will have similar terms of notification before ending your responsibility for payment.

I am a very happy member of Freedom Boat Club (though have not yet used it as many as the 103 times that Fed did) and I am aware of the 60 days/2 month notice.  I am extremely happy with the value that I receive, the excellent service provided at any of the locations that I go to, and the excellent quality of the boats that are available to me.

I would suggest, before trying to defame a company's reputation, that you put on your "big boy pants" and first take personal accountability.  If more people were to do that, I do think we would have a better world.

Respectfully,

Scott

Fort Myers, FL. 33916

Freedom Boat Charges

AUTHOR: Fred L - ()

I do not dispute the fact that the Membership Agreement states clearly that they charge you for sixty days after you give notice of membership termination. I also do not deny that we enjoyed and utilized our membership in Freedom Boat Club. My issue is one and one only, I don't believe that members should be charged for sixty days AFTER they give notice, charges should end at the end of the current billing cycle; that's my opinion and I feel that those considering membership at Freedom Boat Club should beware of this policy, which in my opinion is a complete ripoff.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

FBC Membership Agreement

AUTHOR: FreedomBoatClub - ()

The information provided in this complaint is completely accurate.  If this was written by the member I sopke to on Monday, he enjoyed his introduction to boating so much with over 103 sailboat uses that he has boaught his own boat and is planning to live aboard in CT.

Since 2007 when the corporate locations on the West Coast of Florida, began selling the Freedom Boating Plan, our members began paying an entry fee and then ongoing monthly payments.  Paragraph 4, of our simple one page agreement reads as follows:

TERM OF MEMBERSHIP:  This membership will commence on __/__/__ and shall extend month to month until the Member(s) give a 60 day notice in writing and returns the membership card(s), unless sooner terminated in accordance with the RULES AND REGULATIONS OF MEMBERSHIP.

The sentence mentioning the 60 day notice is in bold on our agreement and is definitely covered during the membership explanationand orientation process.  Since our members are not locked into a long term contract and they can discontinue their membership anytime, we require the courtesy of 60 days to ensure we are able to keep an appropriate fleet level at all locations.

One other point concerning this membership that is worth noting, we do not raise our rates to existing members.  This member was paying $199 per month and our current rate is $249 per month for new members.  That is also noted in bold on the front of the membership agreement that was signed.

While i never want to disappoint a customer or former customer there was nothing underhanded or deceitful here and certainly nothing to warrant a posting on this site.