Complaint Review: Freedom Chevrolet, Sales Manager, Ray Perez, Dallas, Tx

• Submitted: Thu, January 17, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, February 11, 2008

• Reported By:Cedar Hill Texas
Freedom Chevrolet, Sales Manager, Ray Perez, Dallas, Tx
8008 Marvin D. Love Freeway Dallas, Texas U.S.A.

Freedom Chevrolet, Sales Manager, Ray Perez, Dallas, Tx First Time Car Buyer Taken Advantage of. Mislead into Purchasing Vehicle with Frame Rail Damage and Faulty AirBag System. Dallas Texas

*Consumer Suggestion: ripoff

*Author of original report: Re: General Motors

*Consumer Suggestion: wow. an actual legitimate ripoff on ripoffreport.com

I purchased a 2007 Pontiac G5 from Freedom Chevrolet. The vehicle was advertised as "GM Certified" with a sales price of 12,968.00. The sales staff claimed they wanted to "see what they could do to make me happy" and get me a deal to purchase the car. The whole process of negotiation was a facade. Eventually the sales manager, Ray Perez became personally involved and explained their Used Car prices were designed to draw business and there would be no negotiation. In fact, he threw in a $399.00 GM certification fee on top of the advertised price. I should have walked on the deal when I realized they were advertising a "GM" certified vehicle without the inclusion of that $399 price for certification. But, I figured I was getting a quality vehicle with a frame rail that wasn't being held together with Bondo and an Airbag deployment system that was TOTALLY DEFECTIVE. Wishful thinking I guess.

A month after the purchase I hydroplaned the vehicle and bumped into a pole head-on. While distraught over being in a wreck with my "new" car, I was relieved when the Insurance adjuster explained the damage was mostly "cosmetic". The new bumper and hood assembly would put the repair estimate at about $4000.

Freedom Chevrolet doesn't repair body work on their "GM Certified" vehicles so I had the vehicle taken to the Ewing Pontiac Body Shop in Plano, Tx. About a week after the accident I stopped by the Ewing Body Shop to check on my car. The car was out in the parking lot with the front end of the body completely stripped off. While inspecting the car, my "Body Shop Adviser", Vincent Belmares came out to the lot and immediately asked me "Who repaired this car the first time?" I was shocked, as this was a vehicle with a supposedly clean CarFax report(CarFax deserves a RipOff report on this deal as well). He went on to tell me that the frame had collapsed in a way that was a result of the Bondo Band-Aid that had been used to hold it together on a previous repair job. He was also quite stunned that the AirBags did not employ, considering I ran into a pole directly proportional to the location of AirBag sensors at 20 mph.

Vincent, the Body Shop Adviser, told me it was a joke that this vehicle was GM Certified and he did not want to take liability for repairing something that had the previous damage that this vehicle had. When it comes to Body Shops, I figured this was a legit concern considering Ewing advertises their body shop as "Ewing Automotive Body Shop Our State-of-the-Art body shop employs the best technology and people in the industry. Our staff includes ASE Master Technicians and I-Car PLATINUM Technicians. As a result, we provide our customers a Limited Lifetime Guarantee on our work. In addition to Mercedes and GM vehicles, we work on all makes and models. For your convenience, we have two
drop off points for your vehicle and on-site rentals available."

Due to being sold a salvaged vehicle by Freedom Chevrolet, the repair estimate on my vehicle topped out at over $10,000.00 and was totalled out. Several legally conscious friends of mine told me I had serious legal recourse against Freedom Chevrolet. I'm not so sure I would gain anything by suing but I did think I was due for a refund on the $399.00 "GM Certified" fee.

I called Ray Perez, Sales Manager, at Freedom Chevrolet and explained to him what happened with the car. He acted like he would refund it no problem. He asked me to come in the following morning. I went in the following morning and Ray Perez was conveniently off that day. So, the next day my Father(who was helping me on the negotiation aspect of my first vehicle) and I went in to see if Ray was available. Ray passed the problem on first to another one of his sales staff, while hiding in his Sales Tower. The Sales guy brought out the Service Director who explained the shoddy details of their GM Certification process. I eventually realized that when they slap that "GM Certified" stamp on a vehicle, they can claim whatever they want on the shape the vehicle is in and once you drive off the lot they are not liable. Ray Perez finally met with us face-to-face after the Service Director explained the program. With my Father, the ultimate negotiator and career businessman pin pointing out the flaws of their business to no avail, I realized it would take an Act of God for anyone to get a refund on a GM Certification.

I tried to purchase and finance my first vehicle and came away with the conviction to never finance or purchase a vehicle from Freedom Chevrolet again or any General Motors backed dealership again. The most frustrating thing is Ray Perez, acted like a $399.00 refund was no problem over the phone--which I have recorded, and then used the 'ol "bait-and-switch" on me when he realized I was serious about the refund on the bogus certification. I guess he thought I'd give up after sending me up there on his day off. I think most Car Salesmen would make excellent politicians in this day and time.

Benjamin b.
Cedar Hill, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/17/2008 02:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Freedom-Chevrolet-Sales-Manager-Ray-Perez-Dallas-Tx/Dallas-Texas-75237/Freedom-Chevrolet-Sales-Manager-Ray-Perez-Dallas-Tx-First-Time-Car-Buyer-Taken-Advanta-301009. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Freedom Chevrolet, Sales Manager, Ray Perez, Dallas, Tx

#1 Consumer Suggestion

ripoff

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I have to say, I'm kind of shocked at GM's response to you. I'm a car guy (albeit not a GM guy), and it sure sounds to me that you were taken advantage of a bit. I'm not sure if there is any legal recourse available to you, but of all the supposed rippoff reports on this site, yours does actually sound legitimate. Best of luck resolving the issue.

Re: General Motors

AUTHOR: Benjamin b. - (U.S.A.)

I was informed that GM does not handle disputes on "GM Certified" issues, and it is on the dealer level only. Apparently, GM sells the cert. for a mark-up. Ray, at the dealership, claimed he makes no profit on it. Hilarious.

When I was speaking with the Service Director, who's guys do the certifications, he went over how they check what they are supposed to and if they miss something then it apparently wasn't on their checklist.

Well, I did find criteria on the GM website for a GM Certified vehicle. It boasts a 117 point inspection and is extremely clear that the vehicle can be certified after a collision albeit excluding FRAME RAIL DAMAGE, which is what was found.

This car had a clear/salvage free title through Car Fax. By the way, Car Fax is a joke because their loophole on the buyback guarantee, lets them get off the hook as long as nothing was reported to the DMV

Ray, at Freedom Chevrolet, told me if I were to find something legitimate then I should come see him and he would have his Service Director give me a refund. I said well I'm here with something, which was backed up by the Body Shop. Ray, had his Service Director call the Body Shop and they still came up with an explanation that got them off the hook. I said I can get something in writing from the Ewing Body Shop, and said that wouldn't be acceptable. This whole thing is the definition of trickery and doublespeak on behalf of the Sales Manager, Ray Perez, at Freedom Chevrolet.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

wow. an actual legitimate ripoff on ripoffreport.com

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I think you should report this matter to General Motors. I have a feeling they will not be very gentle about it with the offending dealership. It is my understanding that a GM certified pre-owned should be wreck free. Your post indicates it was a salvaged vehicle. Is the title in fact a "salvage title"? If this wasn't disclosed to you, I believe it would be a huge breach of State law.

In any case, below is a quote from your post that I dont understand....

"I tried to purchase and finance my first vehicle and came away with the conviction to never finance or purchase a vehicle from Freedom Chevrolet again or any General Motors backed dealership again."

Why would you hold all GM dealerships responsible for this? There are shady deaelrships selling every make. There are some world renowned shady dealerships right there in the metroplex where you live. Take a look in your Saturday paper or listen to soem of the rediculous radio ads. You'll see what I'm talking about.