Complaint Review: Freedom Pop

• Submitted: Wed, April 10, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, April 11, 2013

• Reported By: Christilna_A — Nationwide
Freedom Pop

Freedom Pop Stephen Stokols, Mangrove Capital, DCM, Niklas Zennstom's Atomico Freedom Pop Takes Your Money And Gives You Nothing Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Coverage, Refunds, and Returns

*Consumer Suggestion: Must Return for Refund Makes Sense

Buyer beware, you get what you pay for...  And less!

When FreedomPop blasted out their press releases, I thought it sounded like a great idea. I signed up right away with the understanding that service would not be available immediately. They happily took my money for their device, and I heard nothing from them for several months.

Finally, four months later, they sent me their device. Very excited, I took it out of the box, set it up and waited for the flashing little lights to stop blinking. Which they never did. I contacted the company, to be told that there was no service in my area "at this time." After several emails back and forth, the "at this time" clearly became "at no time in the forseeable future."

Now, I am unable to get a refund for the money they took from me.  On top of that, they want me to send their device back to them.  Hmmmm...  Good deal for them, they can change the next sucker another $80.00.  I wonder how many times they could use the same piece of worthless plastic to add $80.00 to their bank accounts???  Ten times is $800.00...  It adds up.

I have not stopped contacting their customer service. But I have very little hope to ever see my money again. I guess I'll have this little trinket as an eternal reminder that nothing in life is free.

If this sham lasts another six months, I would be very surprised.  Don't get taken in by this fake offer.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/10/2013 09:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Freedom-Pop/internet/Freedom-Pop-Stephen-Stokols-Mangrove-Capital-DCM-Niklas-Zennstoms-Atomico-Freedom-Pop-1042348. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Freedom Pop

Coverage, Refunds, and Returns

AUTHOR: FreedomPop - ()

Hello Christina,

We have been in communication with you over the past couple of weeks regarding this issue. Your device did not work because there is currently no coverage in Reno, Nevada. You can go to http://www.freedompop.com/coverage to see our available coverage areas.

You originally wrote in on March 20th stating that there is apparently no coverage at your home, and asking for the status of service in your home. One of our Support Agents checked your address in the coverage map and confirmed to you that Reno is not covered. You then stated that you understood the issue, and wanted to know if we would have coverage at your location soon or if you "need to return it for a full refund." Another one of our agents responded saying that we do hope to expand coverage soon, and mentioned there is no cost to keep the device, then asked you to confirm if you would like to return the device for a refund. This was on March 25th.

On March 27th, you responded again stating that you did not wish to wait for coverage and confirming that you would like to cancel your service. One of our agents then issued you a Return Authorization and instructions on how to return the device to us for a refund. You then requested a prepaid return label. However, FreedomPop is unable to cover any shipping and handling charges, as stated several times in our Terms of Service and FAQs. As a small start-up trying to take on the major data providers by giving away an enormous amount of free data every day, we cannot cover all costs around these orders.

After this, you began requesting that we refund you for the cost of the device prior to you returning it to us. We reiterated that FreedomPop is unable to process a refund without the product being sent back to us via the instructions we gave you and the terms of service. We do apologize if this causes any inconvenience, but it is standard practice for most businesses to not issue a refund until the device has been returned. As we told you in your ticket with us, we will be more than happy to issue you a refund once the device has been processed at our returns center.

We will continue to follow-up with you in your open ticket with us. Thank you.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Must Return for Refund Makes Sense

AUTHOR: M.B. - ()

FreedomPop's coverage map is there for all to see on their website. If you don't have coverage, you don't have coverage. I live in a coverage zone in Ohio and am perfectly happy with my service. I checked the coverage map before hand and saw that my office, where I mostly use the service, works fine, even though my home doesn't have coverage.

You seem to be implying that you want a refund without returning their unworkable device to them. It is standard practice for pretty much every company I have ever interacted with that if you want a refund, you need to return the product to them. It makes sense.