Complaint Review: FreedomPop

*UPDATE Employee: Refund Was Issued

*Author of original report: Freedom Pop Refund Scam and the Useless BBB

*Author of original report: Correction on Return Policy Issue

*UPDATE Employee: Return Clarification

I paid a $53.99 "refundable" deposit on a device to connect to the Internet. The service was slow and customer service was horrible.  I returned the device by mail. (The company advertises that the device can be returned within a year of receiving it for a refund of the deposit.)  The company acknowledges receipt of the the device and now two member of customer service have given me two different stories on why they will not return my deposit.  Antoine insist that I have an outstanding balance and that they will only refund my deposit after I pay my balance.  I told him okay deduct the balance ($10.00) from the balance.  He said he was unable to do it.  Then Ryan contacted me via email on 2/1/2013 informing me that I did not follow "proper procedure" in returning the device and that they will test it and "may" refund my deposit.  This company has slowly drained my bank account with extra charges on their so-called free Internet provider site.  I expect this company to either announce that the device does not work in order to keep my deposit or fabricate charges on my account that will nullify any refund I may have gotten.  FreedomPop are a bunch of cheap scammers.

They offer 500mb of "free" bandwidth to surf the Internet but nickle and dime you and charge exorbitant prices for more bandwidth and services when that time soon runs out.  Next, their customer service is a joke.  They are slow and unresponsive when you try to contact them.  Lastly, they have a rewards program that does not reward you.  The program is set on the site so that you can "earn" more surfing data by fulfilling offers by their partners.  The problem is they only reward you a tiny percentage of the offers you complete.  They only "rewarded" me with about 10 percent of the offers I signed up for.  Now I have a ton of spam coming to my email that I am not interested in and these creeps are trying to swindle me out of my deposit. Stay away from this con.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/04/2013 06:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FreedomPop/Tarzana-California-/FreedomPop-ISP-Internet-Service-Provider-Tarzana-California-1008438. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FreedomPop

NO Refund Issued

AUTHOR: Sokar - (United States of America)

You did not refund my deposit to the account you have on file for me.  I have checked daily since you claimed you would be refunding my money.  I never posted.  I have been in constant contact with the bank.  You cheated me knowing that BBB would bail.

Refund Was Issued

AUTHOR: FreedomPop - (United States of America)

Carl,

Your refund was issued on 2013-02-12 at 16:47:04 to a credit card that was on file with your account. It may have taken 3-5 business days after February 12th for it to appear on your statement. If you would like a screenshot, proof of transaction, or information about which credit card it was issued to, we would be happy to provide that to you through our support channels.

Freedom Pop Refund Scam and the Useless BBB

AUTHOR: Sokar - (United States of America)

I was promised a refund of my deposit on the FreedomPOP modem nearly a month ago and have not yet gotten it.  I sent back the device and corresponded with several "customer service reps" at this horrible little company - about 15 or so employees.  I complained to the BBB about this and they corresponded with the company and me for a while.  Despite the FreedomPOP still not refunding the money they acknowledge they owe me the ever uselss BBB has closed this case and given FreedomPOP an A- on it's site.  What would Enron have gotten? An A+.  My complaint is till primarily with the deceptive and cheasy FreedomPOP but the BBB is growing more inept and irrelevant everyday.  I guess I will have to continue my own campaign to let others know about these scammers, their horrible service, deceptive advertising and terrible business model.  Freedom POP to re-iterate still owes me my deposit but confident that the bs better business bureau will just deem the issue closed and give it a high rating (after the BBB has collected it's fee from companies for doing so read about this practice here http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/07/06/has-the-bbb-been-selling-a-ratings/)

The service is slow, unreliable, it drains you of every penny you have to get more bandwidth and it's customer service is a joke.

Correction on Return Policy Issue

AUTHOR: Sokar - (United States of America)

You wrote this "instead of sending it to our returns center as you were instructed to" When was I notified on how to return the device? In fact it was I who contacted your "customer service" several times to advise that I was returning the device due to dissatisfaction with your "service".  That  would have been the proper time to tell me where to send the device and in what manner.  If you peruse this site and several other complaint boards you will find that I am not the only one who finds your service lacking and totally unsatisfactory.

My complaint stands as it is as I have not yet been refunded, your service nickle and dimes every fee you can from customers and your rewards program is a joke - it does not accurately tabulate participation in the programs needed to earn more bandwidth.  I have had to fight with you and the participating programs to receive credit for joining these programs.

Either I did join the programs as encouraged to do so by your site in order to earn more bandwidth or the spam I am receiving from these programs/site is imaginary.  When I have contacted you about the discrepancies you simply palmed it off on the participating websites.  Take some responsibility, fella. The only way you can improve and grow your company is to improve customer service, acknowledge such short comings, and better train your staff. It might also help to better explain and display your policies and contact information.

Return Clarification

AUTHOR: FreedomPop - (United States of America)

FreedomPop works to refund deposits promptly after they are returned, usually within a week of being received at our returns center. The reason that there was a delay in your shipment was that, instead of sending it to our returns center as you were instructed to, you sent it to our Los Angeles office, which does not handle devices or returns. We had to forward your device to our returns center in Indiana on your behalf, causing a delay in your refund being issued.

FreedomPop strives to provide quick, efficient, and friendly customer support to all of its users. As a new start-up with a fast-growing customer base, we are often unable to immediately respond to user requests and are not open during weekends or evenings. After reviewing your ticket history with us, I see that we have responded to your tickets within 1-2 business days of receiving them.