swift

*Consumer Comment: NOT a scam

*Consumer Comment: Feedback to Freedompop

*Author of original report: FYI

*Consumer Comment: question...

*Author of original report: Not Impressed....

*Consumer Comment: FreedomPop is a ripoff!

*UPDATE Employee: Data Usage

******ATTENTION****** PLEASE READ. To whomever is considering buying this product, beware! This is a scam!

I am a young single mother living on a budget. In this day in time having internet is a must so I came across Freedom Pop and thought that they might be an affordable alternative to getting internet in my home. I order the Casual 2GB package @ $17.00 a month. Upon arrival I was very excited to use my device, hooked it up, watched a movie the device worked perfect then went to bed. The next day I went onto the website to see how much data I had used and to my surprise I had used the entire data plan! I thought that was a little strange but I went ahead and upgraded to biggest plan they offer 10GB. The next time the device was used my nephew came over and played his playstation online. The next day I started getting email after email "Freedom Pop has added $10 to your account" over and over again. I thought that was strange since I had already upgraded to the biggest package. When I looked at my bank statement Freedom Pop had charged me $131.59 in overage fee's over a 6 day period, $70 in one day! And continued charging my account until I had insufficient funds. So let me reiterate people... I paid $100 for the actual device, $60 for the biggest plan, and now on top of that $130... FOR USING THE DEVICE 2 TIMES! I called the company and asked what the reasoning was for all these charges. They said that much data had been used because I "had a good connection". The best they could do was refund me $40. Needless to say I will never recommend this product to anyone. You've been warned!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/21/2013 02:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FreedomPop/internet/FreedomPop-SCAM-Internet-1036778. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FreedomPop

Consider other products

AUTHOR: JMWPainter - ()

I've read up on a lot of products like freedompop. My suggestion would be to look at other products. If you are going to use it for movies and games I would suggest a company called Clear 4G. It is $60/month last time I looked. With movies and gaming you would want unlimited internet, not prepaid internet. Just like the difference between Tracfone and MetroPCS. Both are good products if you use it right. (I wouldn't buy a Smart Car to drive thru the mountains. That is a job for a truck.)

I'm sure you remember that it was 500MB a month for free and 2GB a month for $18 a month. There are charges for using more than your purchase is for. I'd agree that the ripoff could be that it is unclear about the automatic payment system that you are able to turn off. You wanted it to cut you off after you used your data of 2GB.

Personally I see it as a hindsight mistake to not repeat and an example for others as a warning. I don't see any reason to not use this company though. Just make sure to turn off automatic payments. I personally enjoy this service but know that is it for simple email and internet use only. I'd definitely would not use it for games and movies or anything else that would eat up my data. Just be aware of what you are getting into and don't get upset for having to pay for data that you are using.

NOT a scam

AUTHOR: 1rock - ()

It is so annoying, and laughable, to see how this reporter had no idea how much bandwidth a movie cost, and just decided to have her nephew "played playstation" on her internet. My suggestion is, sell the playstation to earn yourself some money back, save those violent video games, use the money to take some classes and understand how basic internet works, and how much is 1MB, 1GB, 1TB. No matter which company you choose to use, if you are on a budget, turn OFF the automatic topup setting from your account, so you won't get these surprise.  The only surprise might be your nephew's game will stop in the middle of shooting spree.

For your information, I am a happy user of Freedompop for 3 months now. I used it for mobile devices.  Instead of paying verizon or ATT $50+ or more a month for voice and data, I only paid $10 for prepaid phone and $20 for freedompop data, and it works on phone, tablets, and computer. So on the phone, I use Skype and other services to make the phone works just like a $100 verizon plan. My home internet (comcast) will sometimes go out, and I use the freedompop at those times. Freedom Pop has been great, and I can only use at most 1.3G or the 2G a month that I subscribed.

If you do not know what you are doing, please at least act like an adult. Screaming and complaining will only get you this far. Good company like freedompop might pity you and give you back your money so that you can buy more video games, but your life won't be any better if you do not grow up, young lady.

Feedback to Freedompop

AUTHOR: TFC - ()

Here is feedback - doubt you care or will respond but here goes because I believe it could be a great product and value if managed and marketed correctly.

Your customer service and response is way below average - out source and train your your people.  Telling someone they went over their bandwidth because it was a "very good connect" - currently in a Ripoff Report only makes matters worse. I still have yet to get a response from anyone saying - sorry, your device was shipped, there was a problem somewhere - TY for using us!!! Simple basic customer support.

Post everything - minimum use and why, overages - examples and explanations.  As you know - everything is out there on the Web - one search or click away - better people find it on your site in bold than on a Blog bashing you because they did not read the fine print or follow a link to read a disclaimer.

The home rates for usage is different and posted than mobile - your cost is the same, yet you charge different rates - why???  Come on...my 14 year old grandson asked why there was a difference when the same technology and networks were used (not how he said it - but he got the gist of it).  Create one product with several different access devices and set reasonable caps before you start changing a reasonable price per MB $.007 on the "Home Product" is probably reasonable and if the cap on the $18.99 say 60 GB and post an fyi "how to get the most out of Netflix and Hulu" that shows how to get the default data rates so they go get the most value - I would buy and recommend it to everyone!!   Don't assume we are too stupid to see you charging different rates for the same product and setting caps so low the average user over simply because today's social media sharing.

Make Freedompop popular because it is a great value with honest upfront disclosure of what standard tasks use on average and educate the consumer about ways to optimize the value they receive.  You may find many customer that got you for an "emergency" to sign up for far more.  Yes "Free" is going to attract a lot of people - value will keep customers and get them to spend more.

I spent many years in the wholesale Voip Telecom carrier word - volume is the key to profit, you will never gain market share and volume with your current business practices and that really is a shame because Freedompop could be great for the consumer and profitable.

FYI

AUTHOR: Jessica - ()

From FP's website:
"
Fastest
8X Speed
$18.99 / month

Up to 8Mbps
Ideal for photo sharing, gaming, and video streaming

10GB per Month
Extra data ½¢ per MB
"

Their website does in fact mention video streaming.

question...

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

How exactly are they a ripoff then. It sounds like you got the use out of their service. ANY movie you stream is going to be between 1-3 GB depending on what format you stream in. And you also let a CHILD play around online with your internet connection. Allowing them to play a online game without knowing the amount of data usage they would be using is irresposable on your part. You didnt wonder why your family member came to play a online game at your place??

Sounds like you did not read your contract and you did not take responsability for the use while you had it. Sour grapes much?? Try acting like an adult and realize that the problem occured because of your incompetence. Not the company you did business with.

Not Impressed....

AUTHOR: Jessica - ()

I did say that Freedom Pop gave me $40 back from the $130 I was charged in overage fees AFTER 2 TIMES OF USE. If that's the best you can do, I'm not impressed. I feel that your company relies on vague output of information and according to your advertisements Freedom Pop IS INDEED presented as a alternative to home internet.

FreedomPop is a ripoff!

AUTHOR: CMS - ()

I am a developmentally disabled adult on a fixed income.  I ordered FreedomPop because I thought it was free, and received an email with charges of $0.00 from this company.  However, as soon as I got the device and started using the service, I went to their website because I got an email about $10.00 in credit, and learned that FreedomPop had charged me more than $30 (in 2 days) because I had 'overused' my data!  I have sent them messages but I have yet to receive even the courtesy of a response.  I am going to cancel the service ASAP and find another company, because I have online classes starting in May and I cannot afford to be charged $50+ a month just to get on the web to do my classes.  This company is a ripoff and I recommend to anyone to go with Clear or some other worthy company.  I thought adding $10 to my account meant that FreedomPop was crediting me, not debiting!  They are definitely a scam of the highest caliber.

Data Usage

AUTHOR: FreedomPop - ()

Jessica,

FreedomPop strives to provide affordable high-speed internet to its users, including a free 500MB of data every month. Our paid plans range from 1GB to 10GB a month, with pay-as-you-go options after that. These MBs and GBs are real measures of data. You mentioned that you watched a movie while using the device; the typical file size of streaming a movie is several GBs of data (as opposed to downloading an email, which is just a couple of MBs). Online gaming, as you mentioned your nephew doing, also eats a large amount of data - the longer you stream, the more data it consumes.

After trying to explain the situation, our agents did decide to extend a partial refund for this heavy usage as a courtesy. We do not recommend heavy streaming, especially with online gaming, on our current data plans. Our devices are best suited for typical, lighter usage - casual websurfing, checking email, streaming music, streaming an occasional movie, etc.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you!