Complaint Review: Freedompop

• Updated: Fri, June 27, 2014

• Reported By: Avis — Las Vegas Nevada
Nationwide USA

Freedompop Mobile Internet scam Nationwide

Sounds like a good deal...cheaper than any other mobile hotspot that allows you to travel with your internet.  However, don't be fooled.  You will be offered a free month trial with 2 GB.  They are careful not to say how many hours you can be on the internet for that 2GB.  I received the unit (Proton) about 4 days after they started the free month (it starts when you place the order).

During the first 8 days I checked my account every day as i was using it for emails and some website access. I recommended them to another friend, and they gave me another GB for that, so I had 3 for the month.  The morning of the 8th day I had used less than 1GB, according to my account profile.  All I did that day (I was gone all afternoon) was access email 3 times, return a library book from my kindle and check online for a recipe. Suddenly they charged me a $10 fee and said I had used 3.45GB...that ONE evening.  According to other providers, that is not even remotely possible!

With 18 days left of my "free month" I called and cancelled.  They tried to persuade me to continue, saying they would give me another 3 free GB, but I refused and demanded an RMA number, which they finally provided. I returned the unit for a refund of the cost of the Proton (USPS with tracking) which I hope they will do.  Amazing how it takes 5 seconds to charge your account and 2 weeks to return the money, isn't it?  This was an expensive 8 days...$6.99 shipping for the unit to me, $4.50 to return it and the $10 fee they charged for the "overage" they claimed I used.  Stick with one of the REAL companies but be sure you know the terms, especially if they want a contract which they usually do.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2014 11:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Freedompop/nationwide/Freedompop-Mobile-Internet-scam-Nationwide-1157982. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Freedompop