Complaint Review: Freelancer.com

• Submitted: Sun, July 01, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, July 01, 2012

• Reported By: Patrick — Shoreline Washington United States of America
Freelancer.com

Freelancer.com Avoid like the Plague! -- Stealing from me first time using service. Internet

Freelancer.com is in the process of stealing more than $300 from me.  If only I'd checked them out on sites like this and others a week ago.  Based on the number of complaints, they scam their customers on a regular basis.

When I found Freelancer.com I thought the concept was amazing.  I told several people about it and listed work on a new website for bids.  Weedled down the 30 bids and eventually chose a website developer in New Zealand for the work at $600.

A milestone payment of $300 was required to get the work started which I immediately submitted by credit card.  Freelancer.com took the initial $300, plus some fees and followed it up by taking an additional $300 and more fees.

When I asked about it, they said,  "...each time your account needs funds, it will be given funds by
the card."  I responded that I don't want any funds taken from my card that I did not authorize.  What's worse is the second $300 does not appear anywhere in my account.

Freelancer.com has told me that it is set up as a pending milestone payment and as such has to be cancelled by the gentleman I hired in New Zealand.  Neither does his account show any pending milestone to reverse, only the additional milestone.  He has been straight with me and sent a screen shot that confirms there is no pending milestone there.

With the number of freelancers and those seeking their work on Freelancer.com, it seems they could make buckets of money legitimately.  Yet sites like Rippoff Report are full of complaints that Freelancer.com is a scam.  While I truly believe they are a scam company, even giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying they were merely incompetent, why would you want to deal with them when there are other sites that perform the same service with better reputations?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/01/2012 01:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Freelancercom/internet/Freelancercom-Avoid-like-the-Plague-Stealing-from-me-first-time-using-service-Inte-905377. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Freelancer.com